- Chapter 29 -

I woke up to a note

I woke up to a note. A piece of paper. That was it. There was no warning. No explanation that it would be so quick. When Nathan woke up he found me crying on the edge of the bed. My heart broken from the fact that instead of saying goodbye Ailis had just left a note. I didn't know he was going to leave so soon. I wasn't aware of the fact that I would never see him again.

I cursed myself for not reading the contract I had signed closer. Maybe there was something in there that said I would get so close to him only to have him ripped from my life as if he was never here. Nathan jumps up in bed rushing to console me as he wraps his arms around me reading the note over my shoulder.

I couldn't think about what it had said. The fact that he would miss me and I would forever be in his heart, but for some reason something told me that I wouldn't last more than a little while. He had so many things going on, so many cool things in his world. There was no reason for him to remember me, but he had been such a huge impact on my life. He taught me so many things.

I was frustrated I wouldn't know how well he had done on his assignment. I wouldn't know if he passed. If he would be allowed to continue living in the magic realm or if he would be drifted to somewhere else. Somewhere he would never be able to see his family or friends.

I hadn't realized how selfish I had been. I never even thought to ask about his family. I never thought to ask him about what he liked to do. I knew he would have told me that it wasn't my job to worry about that. He was only here to take care of me for a small little while. I never realizing that the time would go by so quickly. The world seemed like it was spinning around me and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

I wanted just another week with him. It felt like he had passed away and I'd lost everything. I knew that wasn't the case. I knew he was somewhere and maybe that was worse. Because there was a chance I would be able to see him again one day, but not anytime soon. Not in this lifetime or this world, but I knew we were coexisting. Just like the fairies and even his friend Rumpelstiltskin had done my entire life.

My heart pounds in my chest. How would I make it through school today? Nathan and I both had classes and I wasn't going to have my sidekick with me. My support system was gone. Sure I still had my mother and sister, if she even counted, but I also had Nathan, it's just none of them would ever understand what Ailis and I had gone through.

The night he caught me stealing. The night he made me sign the contract and the way he had treated me when he busted me stealing yet again. He was so good to me. I would never have a friend as great as him.

I wished I would have treated him better. He was such a good person and now he was gone.

"Emerson it's going to be okay," Nathan whispered as she pulled the note out of my hand. I mentally thanked him but wasn't able to get the words out through all of the tears. I felt a new sense of anxiety that I hadn't felt in so long. The thought of going to school without Ailis was nearly crippling. I couldn't imagine what I had done before he came into my life.