- Chapter 24 -

My heart was racing

My heart was racing. I was inside. I hadn't expected it to be just as easy as the first time. My adrenaline rushing through my body like a firework show on the fourth of July and this was the grand finale. I grabbed a few necklaces slipping them into my pocket as I tried my best to let out a breath of air. I needed to stay calm or else I was going to get busted. I couldn't get busted.

The contract Ailis had made me sign was in the back of my head as I felt a little pang of guilt rocket through my veins. It made this more worth it though. I was going to tell him I had purchased the necklaces, that feeling of hatred boiling up inside me just made me want to take more. I had to make this worth it if I was going to stoop so low in my values.

What had changed in me in the last month though? Why was it okay to steal things so easily. I thought about putting the necklaces back on the shelf, but I knew people would never suspect me. They would have no reason to look at me as If I had taken these. I placed them back on the shelf but quickly snatched them back up for the second time. I was second guessing myself and it was the worst thing I could do right now. A young courtesy clerk walks past as she smiles at me.

"Finding everything alright?" She questions, her eyes wide as she searches the rest of the aisle for other customers. I nod, not paying too much attention to her.

"Yes, just indecisive," I muttered looking back at the necklaces as I pick one up holding it up to my neck as if I was looking to see how it would look on me.

"That one would look lovely on you," She smiled before walking away. I nodded my head placing it in my pocket, It would look lovely on me, but unfortunately for it, that's not what it was going to be used for. I would give Ailis these necklaces one by one and maybe I would wear a few of them before I did so.

I felt like I had enough so I turned around pretending to look at a few other things. My mother would kill me if she knew I was doing this, this was her friends shop. I felt another wave of guilt wash over me as I slipped out the door. The alarms stayed silent. I scoffed at the place. If they really cared about their products they wouldn't have false alarms. I have found out about this at a family dinner one night.

My body felt free. The store was behind me now and I was well on my way to my car. I could feel it now, all I had to do was stay calm for the next few steps and I would be gone, they wouldn't know it was me and I would have the stockpile I would need to keep the magic flowing for the next little while. Maybe until the end of the assignment. My body was shaking both from excitement and nerves. I knew I would probably throw up when I got home but it felt worth it.

I fumbled with the keys to my car as I finally successfully unlocked my door. I quickly jumped in before slamming it behind me and starting the ignition.

"What, are yer doin'," I would know that voice anywhere. My heart jumped in my chest as I let out a yelp. Ailis had scared me as he popped up from off the floor of the passenger side of the car. I shook my head looking out the window as I begin to back up.