Chapter 17: Rachel

As she headed down the stairs below ground level, she really wondered where she'd gone wrong in her life to be in an unknown dungeon accompanied by a killer with a knife fetish

As she headed down the stairs below ground level, she really wondered where she'd gone wrong in her life to be in an unknown dungeon accompanied by a killer with a knife fetish. Descending, she homed in on every nook and cranny until she hit the basement floor. It was completely dark and she had to stop, unsure of where to go.

Not far behind her, the creak of Tanner's weight as he followed was ominous until the noise stopped and he was standing right behind her. Nothing but darkness in front of her and death behind, she turned to Tanner with a nervous expression.

"This is better?" Rachel whined dubiously. They had just had a fifteen minute long discussion about why he was choosing the place they were going today. Apparently, being alone in a secluded park had not sat well with Tanner, and it was actually very cold now, so he preferred to be indoors.

"What, you don't like playing around in the dark?" Tanner chuckled in reply, pressing her back against the wall as he slid in front of her in the narrow hallway. A brief flicker of his eyes on hers tugged on her heart as leaned in toward her, but he only walked past.

Breathing heavily, she tried to reign herself in but her face was completely flushed. For a moment, she'd thought he was going to do something else, but then he'd continued on. The man had her brain cells fried with how close he got all of the time, just a hair's breadth away from crossing a line that she wasn't sure they'd drawn very clearly.

The man didn't stop as he turned into another hallway, leaving her alone, and she took off after him, not wanting to get lost in the dark. She rounded the corner only to run right into him, and he laughed again, catching her in his arms. Flustered and nervous, she tensed from his sleeves sliding across her stomach as he held her from behind.

"Did you miss me that much?" Tanner lifted her chin to look up at him, but there was only darkness with the glint of his eyes. Nothing else.

"You have night vision or something?" Rachel stuttered, and he shook again in amusement, though it barely vocalized.

"No. It's just one hallway, and you're easy... very fun to torment. Here." Tanner gestured, pushing a darkened wall forward and light melted her pupils.

She covered her eyes, batting the light away and groaning as he released her to walk into wherever they were. The lights were dim, maybe forty watts at best, and she quickly acclimated but still had to rub her eyes.

Half the room had a TV bigger than her fridge if she flipped it sideways, and elegant couches and chairs crawled around the room, all lined with red, velvety material. The long side of it had some dart boards, the other a pool table, and there was a door that led further in near the back.

"Is this one of Oliver's places?" Rachel asked, noticing the similar décor as the pseudo bar they'd been in. To her right, there was a stocked bar and stools that were placed in convenient spots along it.