Chapter 21: Nathan

Staring at Julian's door, Nathan hesitated, wondering if he should even be up here

Staring at Julian's door, Nathan hesitated, wondering if he should even be up here. Donovan was out on errands after they'd finished hanging out, Rick and Tanner were doing god knows what, and Ian was somewhere. Now was the first chance he'd gotten to sneak back up to Julian's room, but he wasn't sure if that was safe. The first time had been an accident and everything had gone fine, but so did things with Ian half the time.

What did Julian's bad half look like?

He did his best to knock lightly but loud enough for Julian to hear. It wouldn't do much good except to let Julian know he was here. Julian couldn't open the door from the inside, but walking in on him seemed hazardous to his health. After a short moment, Nathan opened the door and took a step in to find Julian lying on his bed and reading a magazine. Julian's expression jumped to surprise, and he hopped off the bed and shut the door quickly. It made Nathan nervous, how he'd just locked them in together with no hesitation.

"I thought you were Maggie." Julian touched his own chest with a sigh of relief and then shifted some sort of switch by the door.

"What is that?" Nathan's curiosity got the best of him.

"It's a do not disturb indicator. My emotional state is fragile, and it tells Maggie I want some space. I have mandatory check-ins at curfew, but for the most part, I can keep her away if dealing with her is too stressful."

That explained why Julian had seemed unworried about anyone walking in on them during his last visit. It must have been flipped when he'd come in. Somehow, that made him feel worse about all of this.

"I honestly didn't think you'd be coming back," Julian said with a smile that made him feel abruptly less safe in this room.

It was that or the hand that trailed over his arm. Perhaps he shouldn't have worn short sleeves up here. Last time he'd been without a shirt entirely though. Julian was eyeing his skin, and Nathan pulled his arm away with a glare.

"Do I need to start running?" Nathan asked with legitimate fear.

"No," Julian answered, but he didn't sound at all convincing. There was a very direct look in his eyes that said otherwise. "You know, if you let me cut you, it will look nice when it's done." Julian reached out to touch his arm with his abnormally deft fingers and traced the line of his upper arm muscle.

"I'm going to take a hard pass." Nathan pressed his back to the door but really had nowhere to go.

Julian sighed with dismay.

Nathan had seen Julian's designs and he was right, at least about how they looked. They were smooth and expertly detailed, but he was not interested in the slow agonizing torture that would be.

"Let me..." Julian purred, pulling Nathan forward, and he stumbled from how strong the kid was. Despite his size, the muscles in his arms and hand were toned, and he pulled him all the way to the bed where he pushed him.