Chapter 28: Nathan (Part 2)

"Did you know that they recommend I sleep with women in this book?" Ian asked, flipping the pages

Tanner laughed. "You're actually reading it?" Everyone else had thrown their books.

"Well, yeah, but this is such ludicrous bullshit I wanted to know what it said. What the hell is electroshock therapy?"

"Not pleasant," Julian said.

Ian looked up to him and frowned, bothered by the idea. "They shocked you?" It was strange, them communicating, but Julian shrugged.

"They tried, but only once. Something about it being too harsh for my frail form and age issues," Julian answered and Ian cringed. "It's not like I was conscious. They put me under, but when I woke up, I felt like they took my brain out and shook it. Thankfully, my memories came back, but for a bit, I was in a mental haze."

"Well, at least they don't mess around with your junk," Ian said, cringing as he flipped the pages.

There were other gifts, ones less meant to ruffle feathers.

Micah got his father a new basketball, and he hugged his son with so much emotion that his shoulders shook. In response, Ian made a gagging noise, and Donovan punched him in the arm. The poor guy was getting some bruises for Christmas. Rachel, on the other hand, invited Micah to come play basketball with them, and he sounded excited to join them once the court was shoveled off of snow.

Rachel gifted Tanner some horrendously western styled clothes, and there was a lot of laughter while Nathan wondered if he was actually going to wear them. There were a lot of clothes given around... or what you could pass as clothes. Ian, as his gag gift, gave Nathan something he couldn't make up or down of. It was apparently some straps of spandex meant for sex, and Nathan tossed it at him.

"What, wishful thinking?" Ian chuckled, using his "cure for homosexuality" book to block the thing as it was thrown at him.

Tanner got some really nice knives from Maggie. They looked dangerous and came with an accompanying package of holders for in his sleeves and under his coat. Nathan wasn't sure if they were tiny sheaths or holsters, but Tanner liked them.

The guys got Maggie everything from jewelry, to new vases to replace all of Rick's broken ones, and someone got her a cook book. It was unlabeled who it was from, but they all shared in the amusement.

A bit stranger, Tanner got Maggie some knives, and they weren't for cooking. Maggie unwrapped them, rolled one in her hands and smiled. They shared a look that Nathan didn't understand, but it was appreciation of some kind.

Nathan himself received an awesome matrix-looking, long coat. There had been enough comments about him freezing all of the time, that he didn't need to know who had gotten it for him. He also got some other things for his room. Among them, a small TV he wasn't sure he'd use with all the time he spent with actual people. The last box was as big as a box of deltoids and labeled from Ian. Nathan shook it as he watched Ian open his gifts.