Chapter 45: Rachel

"Is it on?" Tanner asked to someone who was off the camera's view, and Rachel couldn't stop the tears from falling from her eyes

"Is it on?" Tanner asked to someone who was off the camera's view, and Rachel couldn't stop the tears from falling from her eyes. She had thought she would never hear his voice again. Sitting in her room, in total darkness and wrapped in her blankets on the floor, she'd been in despair until Oliver had given her this disk and left.

"It's on, Tanner. Go ahead." Oliver.

"Well, okay then. I'm not great at this, so forgive me, Rachel." Tanner smiled, but it ached to see him. There were sunken circles under his eyes and his face was gaunter than she remembered. This had to have been right before. She had never seen him this bad in person.

"I'm probably going to tell you that I love you every other sentence, because god I do, Rachel. You took the shambles of a broken man and brought me back to life. I thought that I was just lucky enough to live out my remaining days in tedium and contemplation. I had been so resigned to fade away alone and terrified of the end.

"But you," Tanner's eyes brightened, and a few thin tears slid down his cheeks. "You are so radiant, Rachel, full of so much energy, and so damn persistent. I tried to keep you away from me, from what I had become, but you just kept coming back again and again until I could no longer live without you.

"What had been days consumed with the fear of my own end and the inevitability of my descent into hell, turned into nothing but you. Waiting between times that we met was agonizing. I spent every moment thinking at first about how much I liked you, and then how I loved you, and I didn't know what I would do if you were gone. You hanging out with those brats made me worry so terribly that Oliver conceded Halen over to follow you, all so that I wouldn't worry so much.

"I still thought about it though, wondering who was currently having the pleasure of getting the crap beat out of them by you. I'd have loved to be on the other end of any form of touch from you, though I doubt you'd be able to best me. You're so tiny."

Tanner laughed, shaking his entire form as he held his sides, and more tears streamed down onto her shirt. She dropped the remote. All she wanted to do was rewind it, again, and again, and again to hear that sound.

"It terrified me, and you know that, how I could break you with just my hands and minimal effort. I hope I was gentle enough with you. I know I'm a bit rough around the edges, and I have no filter on my anger, but I'm not the sort of person who can handle the idea of hurting a woman... in any way, Rachel.

"Have I told you that you're my world yet? I'm sure I did, many times. I'm sort of hopeless, I guess. I know that we are from different generations and that I was weirdly old-fashioned, but I hope I was able to make you happy. All I ever wanted was to give you everything, but in my position I could barely scratch the surface of what living was."

Tanner leaned forward, and Rachel choked on her sob as Tanner tried to get a hold of himself. Tears were dripping from his eyes, and she wanted to reach forward, right through the TV and touch him, tell him, over and over how he'd made her the happiest girl alive.