Chapter 42: Nathan

After months, the final decision had come down on Ian and Tanner

After months, the final decision had come down on Ian and Tanner. It was only then that they allowed Ian final visitation. From what he'd been told by Allen, there were a few people allowed in to visit Ian but Nathan was the only one there. Nathan wondered if Ian's family would drop by in his last moments, but he wasn't sure what he'd do if they did. That would be really awkward, but Nathan would rather they see him than not. Surely one of his parents must care about him?

Nathan was overjoyed that he could finally speak to him again, even if it would be their last conversation. His heart pounded in anticipation as the guard escorted him to a table with bench length seats on either side. It was the metal picnic table from hell and freezing when Nathan sat onto it, but that didn't matter to him. The room was open and more spacious than other visiting rooms, specially set up for last visitation.

They'd be able to touch as long as it was kept appropriate and Ian wasn't violent. It had Nathan so excited and sad that the emotions were tearing him one way and then the next as he waited for Ian to be brought in. Ian came into view, and Nathan found himself leaning on the table to get a better view of him through the windows to the corridor. Someone had trimmed his hair but not by much, just enough to keep it off his ears and forehead. In an orange jumpsuit, with chained handcuffs on both his wrists and ankles, he waddled through the door with a guard on either side of him.

"Cuffs off and final visitation is a privilege Martinez." The taller one with a bit of a potbelly said as he sat Ian down on the bench across from Nathan. "You do anything funny and you'll be taken back to your cell. Do you understand?" The guard was nothing like Allen, though his apprehension of Ian sure fit the bill. This guy had likely lost all his hair just dealing with Ian over the last few months or maybe he'd started bald. Both were possibilities.

"I understand," Ian said, and the sound of his soft voice tickled Nathan's ears. It sent a rush through him and tingled down his arms, raising the hairs on the back of his neck.

The guard nodded, undid his hand and ankle cuffs, and then turned to Nathan. "Do you want us in the room or outside the door. Last visitation allows for unsupervised visits as long as the family is comfortable."

"Outside the door is fine," Nathan said, blushing on the word family. Did Ian consider them that close, or had the man just assumed?

The men left him alone, and Nathan skittered his eyes to the table nervously for a moment before he looked up to Ian. It was worse than first date jitters, and it drew a smile on his face from how Ian would normally make fun of him. For a moment, Ian didn't look at him, but eventually, he lifted his blue eyes with tears lining them. Ian's shoulders quaked and he lost his face into his hands. Nathan wasn't sure what he'd done, or what to do, so he just sat and waited. They had time. It took Ian a moment to compose himself, and when he did, Nathan's hand was out on the table palm up.

"Hey, Ian," Nathan said, but Ian's eyes were frozen on his fingers where they were offered on the table. "You won't look at me." Nathan sighed. "Did you get a new boyfriend in lockup? I understand. I mean, I couldn't expect you to–"