Chapter 34: Rick

The first person who came down was a man in a standard police uniform, with a gun in the holster at his side and an expression that was easy to read

The first person who came down was a man in a standard police uniform, with a gun in the holster at his side and an expression that was easy to read. Rick was filth to him, and honestly, he didn't give a fuck. That wasn't new. No one liked him if they knew him.

"Allen, don't stare too hard, he might melt." A woman came to his side, and Rick met her eyes.

Fuck.

"You must be Maggie," Rick said in the most pleasant tone he could muster, and she raised an eyebrow. "I appreciate you accepting me into this program."

That much was true, but it wouldn't matter to this woman. Rick knew those eyes, that look. This woman was another fucking Mel. Even on the other side of the country, he wasn't free of his sister. Maybe if he was really nice to her, she'd let him live in a dark corner and leave him alone.

"Well, you're the first person to thank me," Maggie said with a small sigh, and she smiled. It was the same as him, empty and fake. What a pair they made. "Go upstairs, Allen. I have to familiarize myself with the tenants anyway, and he's not leaving his cell."

"Are you sure?" Allen asked, and Rick eyed him.

Did the man think he'd strangle her through the bars?

"I'm fine." Maggie pulled up a chair and sat down outside of his cell, and Allen reluctantly left them.

Sitting there, he sized her up. She was toned and dangerous with the way she carried herself, but she didn't look as empty as his sister when she flicked her eyes to him. There was something in there. Maybe he'd been too hasty to judge her. Mostly, he hated women because they hated him, but he was stuck with this chick for the long haul, so he'd try.

"No one thanked you?" Rick asked. Women liked to talk about themselves.

"Well, not really. Let's see." Maggie looked up and put a hand on her chin. "I think one person wants to be dead, one is too broken to think much of it, one is just a dick and wants to give me shit, and the last isn't in any metal state for gratitude."

"Sorry," Rick said with a kind smile. While he might not have felt apologetic, he understood people giving others shit, so it wasn't insincere. "I'll try not to be too much trouble."

"Gee thanks." Maggie laughed lightly, and it was a sound Rick was not used to.

Laughter wasn't something he couldn't emulate correctly, and few women ever found him amusing. Fun to fuck, sure, but entertaining, usually not. Charming and sexy, but those were superficial.

"Did I scare you off?" Maggie asked, leaning forward.

Shit, he must have stopped pretending while he was thinking. It was hard for him to maintain faked emotion all of the time. It was a chore. If he didn't remember to smile, he stone-faced people and it unnerved them.