Chapter 32: Rachel (Part 1)

Rachel had just gotten out of the car with Tanner and Donovan as the police cars screeched to halt in front of the penitentiary

Rachel had just gotten out of the car with Tanner and Donovan as the police cars screeched to halt in front of the penitentiary. They had been out at one of the indoor gyms with Tim's group. Nathan had planned to go driving with Ian, so they'd gone without him. Maggie had been just behind them on a motorcycle and flew off it and straight up to the house, disappearing into the door.

Faster than Rachel could comprehend, police officers flooded the area, exiting their cars and surrounding the entire penitentiary. Several approached Tanner, guns drawn, and he raised his hands and slid them behind his head.

"On the ground." An officer said, and Tanner knelt, turning his back to them. Three officers came up behind him, cuffed him, and then slammed his face into the ground.

"Stop it!" Rachel screeched. Tanner was being complaint. There had been no reason to be that rough with him.

An officer came over and ushered her back, and Donovan slid his arms around her and held her back from getting herself arrested too.

"You too need to stay back," the man said, his chocolate eyes regarding them sympathetically.

"We will, Allen. Rachel, calm down," Donovan whispered sharply into her ear. "You can't change anything here."

Rachel stopped struggling, but hissed her breath as they roughly pat Tanner down and relieved him of his knives. When they dragged Tanner to his feet, she caught sight of the scrape across his cheek and his split lip, and tears filled her eyes. They officers ran their hands down the front of him and found the knives stuffed in his boots and cursed.

"Why the fuck are you armed to the teeth?" the officer spat in Tanner's face, but Tanner didn't respond.

Tanner caught sight of something behind her, and his eyes widened. Tears poured down his face as Tanner fell to his knees, almost taking the officers holding his cuffs down with him. Tanner would never cry in front of people... not unless... Rachel turned around and caught sight of Ian. Two officers were dragging him out of the house, and he was kicking and screaming at them.

"Please, let me stay with him!" Ian begged, but the officers shoved him into the back of one of the cars. Once inside, Ian kicked the door so hard that the car shook. His head slumped forward, and his shoulders shook in what Rachel knew were tears.

The muttering and curses of the officers pulled her attention back to the house as they were bringing out Julian. Naked from the waist up, his skin was bare for the world to see, inked and scarred on every inch of it. Julian's hands were handcuffed behind him, and he was silent like the grave.

It drove a cold wedge into her ribs, and she clutched her chest.

Blood was all over him–in his hair, spattering his face and chest, and all over his hands, it looked as if Julian had ripped someone apart. Julian noticed her quite quickly and snapped his dark gaze to her. It was different than what she'd expected. There wasn't any malice, fear or sadness.