Chapter 38: Rachel

"There we go," Erin, her obstetrician, said as she ran the ultrasound over her stomach

"There we go," Erin, her obstetrician, said as she ran the ultrasound over her stomach. It was so cold with the gel she had spread over it. Rachel wasn't really showing, but whatever the woman had found she was approving of. "You're looking good. See this little dot here." Erin pointed, flicking her dark eyes back at her. "This is your baby."

No matter how hard she stared, it looked like a black dot in a bunch of grey, though it warmed her to know that her baby was still there after all of her stress. Erin left to flip through some charts and then rolled her chair back to her, her short, ear-length black hair pinned back. It had a few streaks of grey and she appeared to be as old as Oliver if not older.

They were related. Erin Moceri was the Moceri family doctor. She complained a bit about treating more gun wounds than anything, since she had gone to school for women's health for a few years on top of her normal education. The woman was a chatterbox, unlike Oliver.

"Everything is looking good, and I can see the vitamins I gave you. I'm glad you've been taking them. Some of these thug types think they can just tough out a pregnancy like it's a fist fight. Women..." Erin sighed as she looked past Rachel to Oliver.

Standing next to her, Oliver had his arms crossed and was staring at the ultrasound picture in front of them. It had been freeze framed on the final picture and Oliver's expression softened before he turned away from both of them.

Oliver was crying again.

After living with him for the last few weeks, Rachel had come to a much better understanding of the man. While he would shoot someone in the face without hesitance if they were a threat to his family, he also had a terribly soft side for the people he cared about. It wasn't like he broke down and cried like a child though. Oliver just shed a few tears, wiped them away, and moved on with life. The man was too strong for big displays of emotion, but he did have emotions.

"You have to take care of her, Oliver," Erin chastised him, and he spun around with a darkened stare. "I mean it. Don't let her fight anyone, or run anything, or meet with anyone sketchy. Just keep her in the house, make sure she's active, and keep her well fed."

"What am I, a hamster?" Rachel glared at Erin, but she chuckled.

"No, but I know that if you lose this child, it will destroy you. Oliver's lifestyle is not conducive to safe child bearing, and he's a man, so he thinks all women should just deal with it when it hurts. That's not how pregnancy works. If you think anything is off, you come to me first. Don't do anything strenuous, but you're fine to still be active. It's better you are for when you give birth. I've already requested a specialist to come in and work with you, so you only have to listen to my complaining once every month or so."

"Oh boy, more people to smother me," Rachel groaned as she pulled her shirt back down. "I already have Halen and Oliver living in my air space as it is. And then there is Donovan, who pretty much just organizes my whole diet. Who else could you possibly need me to listen to?"