Chapter 22: Rachel (Part 1)

Going up to her room, she sighed, shutting the door and locking it, finally free from her father's incessant insistence that she socialize with the political hierarchy at her birthday celebration

Going up to her room, she sighed, shutting the door and locking it, finally free from her father's incessant insistence that she socialize with the political hierarchy at her birthday celebration. There was nothing more underhanded than all of his supporters wishing his daughter a happy birthday, and showering her with "do me favor" gifts. Anyone she took a liking to would get special treatment, and they knew it.

At least her father considered her opinion somewhere in there when he smothered her in good influences. All those private-school-raised, scholar children of his political and financial supporters didn't really have anything in common with her. Even less with her gang. The ones she favored were the ones who were less likely to bother her.

Cracking her neck, she rubbed it and pressed her back to the door and tried to slide down it onto the floor. She never made it. A hand clamped down over her mouth and used it to shove her up against the hard wood. She met with a familiar pair of pine-flecked eyes and was happy that he'd covered her mouth.

She would have definitely screamed. Well, she was still thinking about doing so.

The last thing Tanner had done with her was yell at her and abandon her in Oliver's basement, and the expression he was casting down on her wasn't exactly his fluffy reunion face. The downward curve of his lips and the tight ridge of his eyebrows had her heartrate at about a thousand beats a minute. As he slid his hand off of her mouth, she tried to stop her breath from coming out raggedly.

"How did you get in here?" Today her house was filled with politicians, and Tanner had the audacity to just waltz through them and into her bedroom?

"Once upon a time, I was a trapeze artist... and it didn't take much surveillance to figure out which room was yours." Tanner smiled, calmer than she thought he would be in such a dangerous location and after their last meeting. Pressing his forehead to hers, he tickled her nose with a few curls of hair that had escaped his ponytail. "Happy birthday."

Everyone else who'd said it today hadn't mattered. His saying those words warmed her heart, and she glowed with a smile in his direction.

"You didn't look like you were having fun."

"You were watching me?" Rachel blushed, probably too excited to be with him for the first time since their argument.

"Every second." Running his hand down her face, he slid it under to the tip of her chin and lifted it gently.

"You sound like a genuine stalker." Rachel's facial expression was flat, and he smiled coyly.

"In over your head?" A taunt, as expected from him.

"Hardly, I think I can handle yo–" Before she could finish the sentence, he lifted her off the floor and deposited her sitting upright on the side of her bed.

"Clearly," Tanner scoffed as he knelt on the floor and pulled out a small jewelry box. "For you," Tanner said, setting it on her thigh.

"Are you proposing?" Rachel asked as she fingered it.