Chapter 41: Rachel (Part 2)

"Tanner, I know you think you have to apologize, but I'm not sorry  for our child

"Tanner, I know you think you have to apologize, but I'm not sorry for our child. There's no murderer in there, just a tiny boy who is never going to know the feeling of betrayal. I'll have him smothered in so much love, I assure you he'll be every bit as kind as you."

"A boy..." Tanner's tone was wistful as he ran his fingers over her skin again and lifted his face to look at her. "How can I rest easy in my grave knowing he'll have no father?"

Mentioning anything about his death tore her apart, and tears escaped both their eyes. She turned away from him a moment, but it was only to have her gaze yanked back to him by a strong grip she was familiar with. Tanner smiled, and her shoulders shook before she straightened up.

"There are plenty of men lining up to take care of him. Don't worry, Tanner. I know you don't like him, but Donovan has volunteered to help with his care and financials. I'm sure Micah and Nathan will enjoy spending time with him as well, though I haven't told Nathan yet. He has his own problems to worry about with Ian. I don't think you want to know that Oliver is supporting me, but it's obvious."

"No, I don't want to know." Tanner sighed and his eyes darkened lightly. "Nathan's okay? I was never really nice to him, and the last I saw of him he was drenched in blood."

"Yeah, he's okay. Walking around and everything, from what I hear. I'm not allowed to see him, but I will eventually."

Tanner stood, and she looked up to him as he pulled her against him and leaned on the table. "I thought I'd never see you again, let alone feel you."

Running his hand through her hair, he lowered his lips to hers, and she needed no more invitation that that. The gentle kiss didn't linger as he wandered down to her chin, laying one there before he found her neck and pressed his lips one last time to her skin. Even with it all, the kiss was too short, but she imagined it would have been no matter how long he had remained. All she wanted was to feel him everywhere on her, so that she would never forget what it felt like.

"Why are you not allowed to see Nathan?" There was a threat in his eyes as he raised his head back up. It was the way they got whenever Tanner perceived someone as doing anything unsavory toward her.

"Oliver thinks it would be bad if the media started poking around into my affairs as well."

"Oliver," Tanner snapped his name in annoyance. "Why does he have so much say in what you do?" It occurred to her with the question that she had never mentioned her move to Tanner, not even in one of her letters. They had been focused on other things, though she had occasionally complained about Halen and Oliver.

"I moved out of my father's house the same day they took you away."

"You moved out?" Concern rang in Tanner's voice, and she tried to calm him with her hands, sliding them up the sides of his face.