Chapter 24: Maggie (Approx half a year ago) (Part 2)

They all had leg bracelets on, but she had to rotate them out of the cells, because she and Allen could only handle two of them at once

They all had leg bracelets on, but she had to rotate them out of the cells, because she and Allen could only handle two of them at once. Allen always sat at the side of the room and was well prepared to shoot them dead in the forehead if they did anything nefarious.

Donovan was already up in his room, comfortably avoiding everyone in the house. That man had been easier to read than a book after she'd lived with him for a few weeks. He was just a disgruntled parent who thought the rest of the men here were monsters, and he wasn't wrong. Still, he had killed to protect someone, so he wasn't going to harm her for no reason, and she'd released him from the ankle monitor much sooner than she could the other three.

Today, she had Ian in the cell. The man was unbearable to deal with. All he did was argue, ignore everything she said, and on occasion, break something just to piss her off. Ian would just laugh the whole god damn time like this was the biggest joke of his entire life.

It sure was for her.

Tanner was sitting across the room with his arms crossed in the corner. Unlike Ian and Rick, he was terribly shy. All he did was hide himself in a corner when she let him out, and if she asked him to do anything, he did it. It was still questionable to her why he was doing so. If it was a ruse, it was a good one, because Maggie felt his meekness full force. It didn't seem faked.

This was the first time she'd allowed Rick out of his cage. The man had been here for three weeks, and she'd made a terrible mistake with him. It angered her every time she looked at him, because his face had Josef plastered all over it.

Worn out from choosing the first four tenants for this project she'd been lax on picking the last. This man had been an excellent con. With excellent behavior and inconsistencies in several of his trials, she'd accepted him without meeting him first.

She couldn't very well send him back now.

If one of them went, they all did.

Rick was playing with a small glass bowl she'd had on the table, smiling pleasantly, on occasion glancing over to her. The frowns she was beaming at him were more the indicative that his façade was not fooling her. The man was such a god damn gentlemen that it sickened her.

"Come on, Maggie." Rick laughed, and it was infectious. With that horrible expression, he'd been marauding her with jokes, compliments, and stories to entertain her since she'd brought him from the transport into his cell. "Why won't you just admit you like me?"

Rick flashed her a smile with his damn perfect teeth. They came with a smooth pair of grey eyes that shined blue in the right light. They contrasted with the gold chocolate of his meticulously styled but short hair. The man spent more time making himself look attractive than most women she knew.

That was how he'd lured women in to brutalize, rape, and murder them.

How had she messed up in choosing him?