Chapter 22: Rachel (Part 2)

The flick of his eyes to hers was so abrupt that she jumped, and he planted a hand on either side of her face

The flick of his eyes to hers was so abrupt that she jumped, and he planted a hand on either side of her face. Letting out a haggard breath, he leaned his forehead on hers in what looked like an attempt to calm himself.

"I'm serious," Tanner said to the bed as he avoided her eyes. "Leila, her name was–a huge female tiger that didn't like her trainer. We had a female tiger trainer quite a while before my issues, but she quit after an incident. The tiger lunged at her, and I pushed her out of the way, but the beast took me down easily. They're huge animals and very dangerous, even with how built I am. I have one here too." Tanner brought her hand down to the right side of his lower abdomen, and she located another row of scars where its claws must have raked him. "I don't consider watching them abuse that animal a high point in my career, so I'm not fond of showing off my scars."

With Tanner's hands on hers, pressing then against his skin, her face heated and she couldn't pull her eyes away from him.

"Wha-What about these little ones." Rachel slipped her hand out of his to tickle a few that were on his sides.

"Various small things. Sparks, splinters, rope burns, and we had a shitty archer. Used to use me for practice when I was younger, but I threw my knives at him, so we are about even. I never hit him though. Most of the time he only nicked me, but he shot one right through my shoulder once." Tanner brought her hand up to his left shoulder and she found the small mark.

"I'm not as impressive," Rachel said, rolling up her short sleeve to reveal a small scar of her own. Tanner's expression lightened, and he touched the smooth, white streak on her upper arm. "Roman candle. Some idiots who dragged me into their shenanigans when I was much younger. Tim and his group would never have been so stupid. The lady at the hospital said I was lucky I hadn't lost an eye. It skimmed up my shoulder and almost hit my face."

"Can I kill them?" Tanner asked, and she shook her head vigorously.

"No." Rachel laughed, leaning against his chest, and she squeaked as Tanner adjusted her so that she was tighter against him

No longer moving, Tanner relaxed and she found her lips quite close to his neck. Staring, she weighed her options and gave in to what she wanted to do. She kissed him on the side of his neck, and he gripped her side so hard that she flinched. He let her go immediately, and though she expected him to push her away, he returned his hands to the headboard beams instead.

She breathed a shallow sigh of relief against his skin, and slid her hands up to the back of his head as she kissed his neck again. His quick, labored breaths lifting her slightly before falling in his chest. All the while, she trailed her lips down to his collar bone and she kissed the small scar that the arrow had left before moving to a smaller one on his pectoral muscle.

A snap stopped her, and she pulled back from Tanner. The beam Tanner had been clutching had snapped and was now in his hand. Setting it back into place, he let out an uneven breath, lost his hand in his hair, and ripped out his hair tie in frustration.