Chapter 24: Maggie (Approx half a year ago) (Part 1)

Maggie strode into the execution room in a hurry, Donovan trailing after her

Maggie strode into the execution room in a hurry, Donovan trailing after her. She hadn't had time to transfer his custody nor did she think it good to leave him in the car, so she just told him to follow, stay quiet, and not cause trouble. If the warden had just talked to her on the phone, she would have waited until the transport arrived at the airport, but she hadn't had time. Donovan was silent, obedient, and she didn't know what to think of him yet. The man certainly looked tame, but who was she to say so soon after meeting him.

Slamming her hand on the access door window vigorously, it took her a moment to get their attention, but eventually someone came to it with a confused and aggravated look. She slapped the paper over the window, panting. The warden had given her custody of Tanner and let her in but told her that if she wanted him alive, she'd have to run. That man really wanted him dead and didn't think she would do it. It wasn't like she'd done so because she cared, more like she didn't want the old bastard to pull on over on her.

The man opened the door, and they didn't expect her to step right in.

"There was no answer when I called, but I obtained custody of this man a few hours ago through federal corrections, and the warden signed off on my arrival," Maggie said to them, and the techs crossed their arms.

One picked up a phone, and she glanced over at the man who she had come to retrieve. It took all of her reserve to keep her form tight and professional. Tears had soaked into the neck of his prison jumpsuit, and his striking hazel eyes were a dim agonized glow. The man had enough muscle to snap any one of them in half.

But he was shaking.

Strapped into the electric chair, he was trembling, washed in his own tears, and yet speechless to her arrival. What must be going through his mind, moments away from his own end, and now unsure of what awaited him?

"Well, the boss says you can take him. Close the blinds." The tech motioned to another man and he slid a sheet of fabric over a viewing window.

There had been people here to watch this man be executed. Maggie wondered whose vengeance she was taking away. Many years ago, she had wanted such vengeance, to cause a man to suffer and to die. Who was she kidding? She still wanted that.

"We'll pack him up for you," the tech said, and she narrowed her eyes.

"What is he, a package? I don't need your assistance. I have my own transport team and van outside They arrived a little after I did." Maggie knelt and undid the man's leg cuffs, and the techs in the room took several steps back to the wall.

They were terrified of this man.

If he made a move on her, she'd shove a knife so far into his throat he'd be dead before he hit the ground. No one terrified her anymore. Removing the straps and attachments on his head, she saved the wrist cuffs for last. After removing them, she looked to the man who had yet to move. There was confusion on his expression as he lifted his hands and looked at them.