Eight

Jace King

Slaughtering the entirety of the Blue Blood Clan did nothing to quench the burning fury that the betrayal of our mate left me with. He chose to side with those that wanted to bring us down, those that want to lock us up and torture us just like the council did.

If he knows about supernatural beings, then he most definitely knows about mates since that's the most important thing to 95% of us. They talk about mates every chance that they get, so he most likely knows how mates react once they find on another. He knows he is our mate from our conversation and the way we reacted to him that night in the alley, but he still chose the side against us. He wants us to suffer just like the rest.

No.

We won't be the ones to suffer, he will. We'll make him regret choosing the wrong side. He'll come to understand why everyone fill their shoes with piss at the sight of us.

"Is he awake yet?" I ask Alec and Luca as I enter Alec's office.

"We were about to go down and check," replied Luca, his eyes slightly darkening in anger at the mention of the traitor.

"Let's go," directed Alec, his eyes cold icy pool that hold no emotions. "I'm sure you all can also feel the bond strengthening with him in such close proximity. We need to start our plan before it gets too strong, we may not be able to go through with it if the effects of the bond increase," he said walking out the door as a look of irritation crosses his face.

Alec is the one who despises the mate bond the most out of us, hell I think he despises it more than anyone who's ever existed has. He hates how an invisible bond links us to someone we know nothing about, hates how it makes us, forces us, to care and protect someone we have no real feelings for. How it makes us put a stranger's safety and wellbeing above our own, above our brothers.

Luca and I follow Alec towards the dungeon. He unlocks the door with a key before entering a code on a touch screen beside the door to open the second lock and starts the long descent down the stairs to the third level. The further down we go, the stronger the smell of death and bodily waste gets in the air.

We reach the third level and start down the long, dimly lite hallway lined with cells to reach our traitorous mate's cell. We pass by a few vile criminals who are too weak and scared of possible consequences to shout curses at us. They look close to death.

As we near his cell, the scent of vanilla lavender starts to overpower the stench of blood, sweat, bodily waste, and death. Instead of calming my anger as it normally would, it fuels it as it reminds me of what the owner of that scent has done.

We come to a stop in front of his cell and see him sitting against the wall with his arms chained above his head in cuffs. He has a very prominent, deep, dark bruise in the shape of Alec's hand surrounding his neck. I can see him taking short rapid breaths as he visibly trembles in fear. He snaps his clenched eyes open and meets Alec's, before moving to Luca's, then lastly mine.

"I see you've finally awoken," Alec says in an emotionless voice. "We were wondering if you ever would."

"H-how long have I been out?" He asked in a scratchy voice as he scrunched his eyebrows together. The action could have been seen as cute in a way if I wasn't filled with so much anger and hatred.

"Three days," he answered, causing our mates eyes to widen.

I could see as the panic on his face as thoughts race through his head. He must be shocked that he was out for so long, probably thinking of everything he was supposed to do during the time he was unconscious. He must not have realized it wouldn't have made a difference when he wakes up since he's locked away in our cells.