Nineteen

Luca King

"Jace, take her downstairs. I need to discuss something with Alec then we'll join you," I told him.

He gave me a nod before looking towards our mate who was already scooting herself to the edge of the bed. It annoyed and angered me immensely how excited she was to see the human boy. She tried to stand up but her legs couldn't support her and Jace had to move quickly to grab her before she hit the ground. She flinched and let out a whimper when his arms wrapped around her.

"You were in bed for three weeks so it's probably difficult to walk," he said before scooping her up into his arms, causing her to yelp in surprise and fear. "I'll carry you."

He made his way out the door with a small, satisfied smirk before she could say anything, leaving me and Alec alone. Once I was sure that our mate was far enough so she wouldn't be able to hear anything, I turned to Alec who was still looking at the door and slapped the back of his head hard. The force caused him to stumble forward while his hand raised to rub the spot I hit.

"What the fuck?" he exclaimed.

"You're asking me that?" I shot back with a glare. "What makes you think that threatening our mate is the correct thing to do once she wakes up from a coma that we were the cause of? She just fucking woke up and instead of trying to get her to hate us just a little less, you fucking make her hate and fear us even more! You're going to punish her? We've unjustifiably done that enough already!" I shouted in anger.

"I had to make sure she wouldn't pull this shit again! Didn't you see her eyes? She doesn't regret doing it. Her eyes showed that she regrets waking up again! Fear is the most effective deterrent and I will use it against our mate if it ensures she doesn't fucking kill herself!" he shouted back. "My threat is a precaution, a method of deterrence. I won't hurt her again..." he spoke the last sentence quietly, looking down at the ground.

"There are other ways!"

"Yeah like, what?"

"She's going to be with one of us all the time. She won't have a chance to pull that shit again."

"You think she's going to be any less scared?" he asked me, raising an eyebrow. "The sight of us scares her. My threat is probably less threatening than placing her in a room with one of us," he said, crossing his arms. He let out a sigh before continuing, "It's to make sure she's doesn't pull anything when she does have moments of privacy. Which she will have because I doubt she'd be happy taking a shit while having you staring at her."

I ran my hand through my hair, annoyed that his words are true. "Then what about your other rules? Obey our every command? Never disrespect us? Serve us and only us? What's the use of throwing that shit in there? If you wanted to scare her into not hurting herself you didn't need to add those!"

"Ha! You think she's actually going to follow those? I bet she's thinking of another plan to escape from our grasp with lover boy as we speak-" I let out a growl at the mention of her and that human boy together. "Those rules are to keep her safe," he continued. "We still can't reveal who she is until we kill them, especially not now that we've caught word that their planning something," he argued, referring to the report we received earlier from the men we have located all over the globe claiming that suspects of interest have been behaving strangely. "We can't have her openly disrespect us in front of others. If she does we may actually have to administer some sort of punishment so their moles don't find anything fishy and worth reporting back"

I sigh in annoyance. "No more scaring her," I warned him sternly.

"Sorta impossible seeing as our simple presence terrifies her," he grumbles under his breath.