Twenty-two

Damaris Rana

Once they left the room I raise a shaky hand to the place that Alec had kissed.

What the fuck is wrong with me!

First, I a shiver at the sound of him saying my name, my ears craving to hear him say it again, to hear them all say it. Then, I turn to putty in his arms because he fucking kissed my forehead? Not to mention I probably need to get my nervous system checked out along with my brain because whenever those three touch me all I feel is sparks, and said sparks make me forget about my fear, about what they have done to me, and what they will do to me.

"Bark!"

I turn my attention towards the small, grey puppy that's by the door. He was looking at me with his head tilted to the side.

"Bark!" He almost almost fell as he clumsily ran towards the bed.

I crawl to the edge hesitantly before leaning over it to find the puppy standing on its hind legs with his front ones against the bed. His tail was wagging as his pink tongue hung from the side of his open mouth, moving as he breathed. He looked up at me and barked once more.

The corners of my lips slightly turn up at the puppy's actions. I reach my hand down to pet its head, but stop before I make contact. I curl my outstretched fingers in, clenching them into a fist before withdrawing.

I can't. I know Alec was lying when he said he wouldn't hurt him, that he wouldn't hurt me. I was already stupid and reacted when they showed him to me. I shouldn't have said it wouldn't work, I shouldn't have asked him to let him go. It just proved to him that it would work, that it already was.

I sighed looking at him when he let out a whine. I can't form a bond with him. I know that I'm already going to be affected when they hurt him, but if I bond with him then it will be so much worse.

Ignoring his barks for attention, I sit on the bed as my mind flooded with images of someone else they have and can use to hurt me, Simon. They hurt him. He looked so tortured and lifeless like he lost all hope. His eyes that always held a spark were so dull and devoid of emotion. They broke him, just like they broke me.

I was jolted from my thought when the door opened. I turn and see Max walk in carrying a tray with food. He walks towards me and places it on the bed in front of me.

"Woah!" he exclaims when he stepped back, trying not to fall as he trips over the puppy.

"Grrr... Bark!" the puppy ran around Max's legs, jumping and nipping at his ankles between growls and barks.

"Who do we have here?" he questioned while putting his hands up and backing away from the growling, little, grey pup who stood defensively in front of the bed I was on.

"Bark!"

"Please take him with you," I quietly asked.

He looked up from the puppy towards me with wide eyes, before lifting his arm and pointing at me. "Y-you spoke!" he shouted in surprise. He stopped pointing and brought his hand up to clutch at his heart. "It really hurts knowing you could speak to me this whole time and chose not to, Sweetcheeks," he said while whipping away a nonexistent tear. "You hurt my feelings, I thought we were friends. I don't know if I can go on with my life anymore," he said dramatically, placing the back of his hand that wasn't clenched over his chest over his forehead while turning his head away. "Woe is me! My only friend doesn't even want anything to do with me!"