We Need More

Katara's POV

This as amazing. I was working with the other waterbenders and everyone was so excited and committed that I had faith. I know we had a long way to go but this arena has helped and given everyone a renewed sense of confidence. I finished helping someone with their stance and stood off to the side. As I looked around, I saw the Masters leading workshops and students helping one another. Soon, I found myself looking for Zuko. We seemed to have an unspoken agreement. The goal of saving the academy needed to come first, then I hope we can focus on us. Even with all this positive energy, there was something that still bothered me.

I turned my head and saw Zuko, Aang, and Iroh walking out of a tunnel that I hadn't noticed. Aang seemed excited, but there was something different about Zuko. There was no forced smile or awkward stance. He finally seemed calm and began sparing with Aang which surprised me. When they released their flames, it was so bright and a beautiful mix of orange, yellow, and red. Aang did some complicated move and Zuko smiled before they high-fived.

"Why are you smiling?" Suki asked me causing me to look away from Zuko and Aang. Suki was a bit sweaty, so I handed her towel before answering.

"This is just unbelievable. A place this huge hidden right under our noses."

"Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm just relieved we have a place to practice and won't fall behind in class." Suki replied, but her words sparked my insecurities. We were sparing and studying but the fire students had an advantage when it came to time. I know they had nothing to do with the headmaster's plan but it was based on their grades. There were only a couple of days until finals and we were now starting to spare.

"You still there, Katara?" Suki asked me, successfully snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, just thinking." I responded.

"Anything we can help you with?" Aang asked from behind me. Suki and I turned to see Aang and Zuko walking towards us. If I can't figure it out myself maybe they can help.

"I'm worried that this might not be enough." I said which caused confusing looks on Aang and Suki's faces.

"You're worried that the fire students' grades will still be higher than the rest of us." Zuko explained to the others. I should've been surprised that he understood but I wasn't.

"Exactly. They had months to study, and we didn't have as many resources until now. There has to be more we can do." They went silent at my words.

"You want to sabotage their grades? They're innocent in all of this." Aang eventually spoke.

"I know which is why I'm conflicted." I answered, looking between them. I stopped on Zuko because he had this sense of calm but his eyes held conflicting emotions. He's the only fire bender besides Aang so he knows the other fire benders. Zuko wants to keep the academy open to all but was raised within the fire community.

"We can succeed without hurting their grades." Aang began. "By doing our best, we don't have to hurt anyone."

"Yeah ok Mr. Goody Goody, we'll keep that in mind." Zuko joked causing Suki and Aang to laugh.

"Zuko made a joke, I didn't think I'd ever see the day." Suki spoke up. "I like this version much more than the 'Prince'."

"Suki!" I said in shock. Zuko was sensitive to the Prince nickname. Only Zuko was smiling.

"Don't worry Katara. I agree with Suki and hopefully, the 'Prince' won't be coming back." He said as Toph and Sokka walked towards us. A smile grew on Aang's face with a look of realization. When they reached the group, Aang had a full smile and walked over to stand next to Toph.

"About time." Suki whispered to me and I had to stop myself from laughing.

"As much as I never want to see the Prince again, we might need him." Sokka said with a small smirk.

"What do you mean?" Zuko asked.

"The council is the ones making the final call on the school and, as Zuko said, the headmaster has many of them in his pocket." Sokka paused to make sure we were following along. "We need to convince them that the headmaster has changed his mind and what he really wants to keep the school as it is. That the vote is only for show."

"How are you going to do that?" Suki asked.

"I have some ideas. Are you down, Zuko?" Sokka asked him. Zuko appeared to be deep in thought as he nodded.

"You're brilliant. I think I should be able to pull out the Prince for a good case." Zuko said. "We should get back to work and talk about this later." Everyone nodded and walked towards their skills with Aang joining Toph in the earth element.

"Zuko, wait!" I said as he about to leave for swordsmanship. "I have an idea too."

"Ok. Why didn't you say it in front of the others?" He asked. I led him to the side and became confused.

"Because I don't think Aang will like it." I stated and explained my plan. Zuko began pacing while starching his head. his arm muscles flexed as he moved and I couldn't help but stare.

"I just came clean to the others because I didn't want to keep secrets anymore." Zuko said.

"I understand, I guess-"

"You didn't let me finish." Zuko interrupted me. "The whole point was to save the school and your plan will help. It's not enough to get the students a place to study. Yes, that might get the school to remain open, but we also need to show them that my father isn't in as control as he thinks. Plus," Zuko walked closer and held my hand, "you should know I'll do anything for you."

"Thank you." I responded while I felt a blush on my face. "Have you ever heard of the Painted Lady?"

I kept my promise!! Thanks to @leannamae23 for the reminder lol I wanted to include the Painted Lady and the Blue Spirit (plug for next chapter) since the beginning and had to find a way for it to work without some costume party because I believe that is a cop-out. 

I was wondering if you guys wanted a bonus chapter from another character's POV? If yes, who would you want to see?

Let me know what you think by hitting that star or leaving a comment.

Don't forget to smile at least once a day :)