Chapter 16

Blake tweaked two knives between his fingers as he picked the lock to my garage. His obvious logic was that if we were going to a party then we needed to get there somehow. I suspect that he has been doing this every night he went out since my mother took his bike off him. 

The lock clicked as it unlocked, and Blake smirked over his shoulder at me mischievously. I picked the back of my nails and then wrung my hands together, I am going to be in so much trouble with my mother. I cringed when the lock clanked as it released, and the garage door sung open. 

"See, piece of sponge cake, this sponging from your family," Blake spoke with a smirk in his voice. I looked at with raised eyebrows, uncomprehending. "Get it because I am sponging from your family," he joked with a giggle, referring to the fact that he is stealing his bike back from us. I shook my head at him and he cackled at his terrible joke. I glanced at him with fascination in my eyes, there was that humour again when he was in a good mood. Breaking and entering must give him some sort of high. 

Blake snuck up to the bike with traipsed steps like a criminal. I realised I was fraternising with the criminal, maybe I was one now. 

Blake jumped onto the bike and threw me his helmet. Due to my extremely slow reflexes I flinched and juggled the helmet in my hands as I tried to grab hold of it. It eventually fell to the floor as I tried to reach for it. It smashed to the floor with a loud crunch.

I glanced up at Blake with an annoyed look, embarrassment tainting my cheeks crimson and annoyance at his confidence that I could catch that. A smirk graced his lips from my inelegant catch and as he looked into my narrowed gaze.

"Really? Do you think I am Lebron James or something?" I muttered.

"Trust me, a donkey could have caught that, and they have no hands." I sneered at him, while he cracked up laughing at my face.

"Yeah great thanks, way to boost my confidence," I mumbled and yanked it off the floor before sliding it onto my head. Then I took a deep breath and held it to gain my courage and slipped onto the bike behind Blake. I shivered but not from the cold as he wound my hands around his waist. I held on tightly, almost cutting off his air supply, but so worth it.

Blake started the engine and we sped off into the night like lightning, leaving my unsuspecting mother behind and my usual mundane night in. He drove like a formula one racer, and I had to keep my head tucked into his shoulder to keep from screaming. That wouldn't keep his faith in me that I could handle a party when I couldn't even stand being on a motorbike. Only when Blake slowed down and eventually screeched to a stop did I take in my surroundings. We were at the top of a hill, surrounded by magnificent houses and lining the street were palm trees. We were in that kind of neighborhood.

My eyes were immediately drawn to one house in particular which was blaring with music so loud I could hear it clearly from where we were three houses away. Lights were flashing from inside the windows and the front of the house was middle with people everywhere. Teenagers drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes and there was one girl who was chugging down beer from a funnel while the others cheered her on around them.

 Instantly dread and fear rippled through me causing my face to whiten. I shouldn't have come here, I don't belong at all. I turned to Blake to tell him I was chickening out but when I spun on my heel to look at him he was already facing me. My stomach flipped as I saw the way he was looking down at me, not in hatred or disgust. But in joy, his wide smile was blinding, he had a light in his eye I had never seen there before. 

He was happy that I was here, that I had the courage to burst out of my shell and become more like him. Maybe following him and being more like him made him like me more. I pressed my lips together to stop the words that were about to spill out. I am going to do this. Not just for Blake but for me, I want to be here with him. Even if it meant going through the horror of a party.