Chapter 25

The first audible wail of the siren from the approaching ambulance was clearly heard through the sobs of my own breath. When I was on the phone to the emergency officer, she advised me to check Blake's heart beat again and I realised that he still had a heartbeat, it was just so faint due to the drugs. I placed him onto his side and cleared his airways in case he vomited as the officer on the phone instructed. 

Blake's lips had turned blue and he kept making this gurgling sound like his body was trying to heave up all the lethal drugs poisoning his system. It was a long agonising five-minute wait for the ambulance to arrive but I had the woman on the phone to talk me through everything. Blake would stop breathing for an extended period of time causing my heart to crumble and crack and my sobbing to begin again. Then he would gasp and return to erratic slow breaths.

I was gasping and crying wildly, I had my body curled into his without touching him and held both my hands to his face.

"Please stay with me Blake, please, just hold on," I kept begging him. The tight agony and restriction on my lungs lifted when the ambulance whirled around the corner and pulled up onto the bridge.

The paramedics ran up to us as I waved them over towards Blake.

A woman with natural dark blonde hair pulled tightly back into a tight high ponytail and serous stern facial features dressed in ambulance scrubs reached Blake first.

"What happened?" She demanded of me as she checked quickly over Blake's vitals.

"He," I stuttered and sobbed, struggling to speak. "He took all of these." I gave her the packet of antidepressants and she quickly glanced over the name of the drug.

The other paramedic ran over to us with a stretcher and they both began loading Blake onto the stretcher.

"He has a heartbeat but so faint I could barely hear it, he is breathing but in gasps and he would stop breathing for 30 seconds or so," I explained as they worked.

The woman nodded in acknowledgment of my comment but there were tight concentration lines around her eyes as she worked over Blake. My eyes drifted back to Blake to see his dark hair falling over his closed eyes and a shock of something so horrific and painful shot through my heart like a gunshot when I thought that this might be the last time, I ever saw his face.

I whimpered and my knees collapsed out from under me and I fell to my knees, lifting my hand to my mouth to stop my loud sobs so the paramedics could work.

The paramedics lifted Blake and carried him over to the ambulance. I jumped up and followed behind sprinting up to Blake so I could hold his hand, it was cold and dead. I squeezed it so tightly, as if I could merge our hands together if I held him tight enough. We reached the ambulance and the paramedics opened the door and pushed Blake into the back. 

As they pushed him out of my reach his hand slipped out from mine and I knew I had to let him go. But it didn't make it any less painful when slowly his hand fell from mine, I tried to hold on for as long as possible until our finger tips fell out of each other's reach.

I heard the paramedics discussing Blake's condition in the back of my mind past all the pain but it was hard to concentrate on their words.

"There is no heart beat," the woman paramedic spoke.

"Start pumping his stomach. Let's see if we can shock it back," the other paramedic, an older man with a shaved head.

The ambulance doors crashed shut as the ambulance officer shut then with a hurl from inside the cabin. The last thing I saw was Blake's passed out form laying on the ambulance bed as two paramedics worked over him with urgent movements because they knew that Blake was on the brink of death. My legs and mind were frozen immobile in shock as the ambulance sped off towards the hospital and once I was alone, I reacted.