Chapter 16

It was the beginnings of yet another year at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry and to say Sakura dreads it would be correct. After experiencing so many bad years, she honestly didn't expect anything not to go wrong this year. After things getting progressively worse, she wouldn't be all too surprised if somebody ended up dying this year. 

But either way, she couldn't help the feeling of excitement. This year, not only was she now a certified medic which meant that she was actually able to do more than heal bruises and get medication for Madame Pomphrey. But also they were going to be being joined by two other schools for what Dumbledore called the Triwizard Tournament.

-

It was between mid-afternoon and twilight by the time the other two schools had arrived, Durmstrang Institute and Beauxbatons Academy in both boat and flying carriage respectively. However, it wasn't until dinner that the two schools were officially introduced to the Hogwarts students. 

"Well now we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement. This castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well." As he spoke, the door to the hall opened and Filch came running in, " You see, Hogwarts has been chosen-" he was cut off when Filch came up beside him to alert him of the other school's presence. "So, Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event:  The Triwizard Tournament. For those of who you who do not know, the Triwizard Tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school, a single student is selected to compete. Now let me be clear. If chosen, you stand alone. And trust me when I say these contests are not for the faint-hearted. But more of that later. For now, please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of Beauxbatons Academy  of Magic and their headmistress, Madame Maxime." The doors  opened to reveal a set of girls all in blue who promptly ran down the central isle, a larger woman following after them, holding Dumbledore's hand as she did so. The hall erupted into applause when the girls gathered at the front.

"And now, our friends from the North. Please greet the proud sons of Durmstrang and their high master, Igor Karkaroff." This time, when the students entered the hall, the marched through, hats and cloaks made of fur as the rest of their uniform was a full brownish-red colour. Each was armed with a large staff which when slammed on the ground caused sparks. After slamming their sticks to a beat, they span them round quickly before lowering them and racing down the isle. This action alone causing gasps before the group performed flips and twists alike. Following after the school came a trio made up of Igor Karkaroff, Viktor Krum and a man who Sakura never got the name of. The boys at the front blew animals of fire before their high master greeted Dumbledore in a more familial tone. 

"Albus!" the high master of Durmstrang  exclaimed loudly as he embraced the older gentleman in front of him, "Igor" the man replied, returning his hug.

Viktor Krum's eyes quickly scanned the large hall, searching for that familiar pink-hair that his nurse had had during the quidditch match. He gave her a large grin when he caught her eyes, the girl sitting upon the high table at the front.  He was about to go over and thank her properly, only after she'd left did he realise that he hadn't yet done so, but he found himself blocked by the arm of one of fellow classmates. With a sigh, he nodded one more time at her, just noticing how she gave him a gentle smile in response before he was pulled away to sit down. Sakura turning to talk with Hagrid instead.

After the speech, the  food appeared on the tables, staff and students alike more than happy to eat it. The Durmstrang were settled with the Slytherin house whilst Beauxbatons were sat with Ravenclaw. Happy chatter of reunited friends, split up over the holiday, filling the air during the meal. Hagrid, however, had clearly taken a great liking towards the headmistress of Beauxbatons which Sakura found quite amusing. The poor man who sat next to him, Professor Flitwick, felt the brunt of his day-dreaming nature. The professor was by no means impressed by Hagrid accidently digging his fork into the man's hand. After pulling it out, Sakura was quick to heal the injury so as not to cause a scene.

"Your attention please, I'd like to say a few words. Eternal glory. That is what awaits the student who wins the Triwizard Tournament. But to do this, that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks. For this reason, the Ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule. To explain all this we have the head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation, Mr. Bartemius Crouch." There was a large crackle of lightning and thunder from the ceiling causing the students to scream in shock.

"After due consideration, the Ministry has concluded that, for their own safety no student under the age of 17 shall be allowed to put forth their name for the Triwizard Tournament. This decision is final." The outcry of disapproval from the audience was loud and clear as all the houses complained loudly. "Silence!" Dumbledore came to back up the man, instantly hushing the hall as students turned to look at the man once more. Dumbledore then turned to the large object beside him, before moving his wand down it to reveal the large statue within it. He then addressed the audience, "The Goblet of Fire. Anyone wishing to submit themselves to the tournament need only write their name upon a piece of parchment and throw it in the flame before this hour on Thursday night. Do not do so lightly. If chosen, there's no turning back. As from this moment, the Triwizard Tournament has begun."