Winter Wonderland

I breathed warmth into my gloves, my boots making a soft crunch in the milky white that surrounded me.

I wasn't trying very hard to be quiet, but I didn't need to, I was naturally a quiet walker, even when trudging through snow.

It was bright out and the trees looked beautiful in the sunlight. A small smile appeared over my lips, that is until I heard laughter in the trees.

It was a good distance away, but I continued on with a flinch.

Their laughter brought a sort of hollowness to my heart. I looked forward at the trees as I walked. Trying hard to block out the noise, focusing on my steps and the sound of snow under foot.

The laughter grew louder for a moment and I felt my heart skip a beat, did they know I was out here?

Then, like a breeze sweeping passed, it faded with distance and I found myself letting out a sigh of relief. But the hollowness returned with bite.

I never wanted to run into the other werewolves around my age. I was the pack's Omega, the lowest rank of all.

They weren't mean to me, but they were not my friends. It was lonely, but that is just how I lived. It was better to be alone than surrounded by others who didn't care about you.

If anything, being around them just reminded me constantly of the loneliness inside of me.

However, there was one thing that gave me hope, my soulmate. Someone who would love me, someone who I could walk with and share these beautiful days with.

Another small smile played at my lips, but warm liquid fell from my eyes landing almost silently in the snow under my feet.

It was something I wanted so badly, and yet, I feared I might be too lowly to ever find a mate. They could reject me faster than I could snap my fingers in this cold.

I looked at my gloved hands and tried to snap my fingers. My legs never stopped moving as I trudged along through the snow.

When I saw the small lodge under the large pine tree, my pace relaxed and I stared at my home.

There wasn't a fire going inside, and the lights were off. It signaled that I was not home.

I stepped inside and breathed a puff of clouds into the air.

It was cold inside, but not as cold as outside. The sun would not set for a while, but it was wise to get the fire going before I went out to hunt for dinner.

I lit a match with little trouble and threw it into the fire place where logs had previously been placed.

They had waited patiently for the tickle of the tiny stick to envelope them in flames and soon the fire was growing quickly.

I waited until the flames were a decent size before taking off my gloves and holding my hands up to the fire.

I felt warm, even where I felt the hollowness. At least I had a place to call home. Not many other Omega could say the same.

My name's Aubrey Castel, I'm the Omega of the Timber Pack.