Celebrating the Lie

The party was held out in a plaza near the shops. There were a lot of people, and yet not too many, at least at first.

I was dressed in a gown I thought was suited better for a ball, and on someone with confidence. It felt thin on my frame and I was constantly rubbing my arms.

This wasn't really for warmth, even with the light material, I felt hot and uncomfortable. At the moment, I just wanted some form of comfort.

My hair was pulled back and out of my face, my ears were exposed which felt strange to me. All my locks were held up in a bun, when I usually let it fall down my back.

Everything was so different from home.

"You ok?"

I looked over at Alexa who was dressed a bit differently, but not completely. She was wearing a sort of jumpsuit that also looked like a gown at the same time, her hair slicked back in a high ponytail.

"I'm ok." I nodded with a little smile and she returned the gesture.

"Just let me know if that changes."

I hummed back in agreement and took a deep determined breath, before entering the fray.

Many people talked to me, which was a bit alarming, but I smiled pleasantly. I heard many of the same thing.

"I love your dress! How darling. You look wonderful." But one question jumped out at me, grabbing my attention quickly.

"So you're the future Luna?"

I turned to a girl with rich brown hair and clear skin, her eyes were a brilliant blue and she was taller than me, especially with the heels on her feet.

I was never confident in heels, I was wearing flats, this of course made her a good head taller than me.

She looked me up and down with an expression I was more used to, yet also different.

"How appropriately, underwhelming."
I knew the meaning of the word, but I decided to play dumb.

"Oh, thank you." I offered her a cheery smile, maybe she was just having a bad night.

She rose a brow before a slight smile appeared on her features.

"I must say I'm surprised this is happening so suddenly. So was it love at first sight? Did you two feel the mate bond so strongly?" She asked, and I instantly was made aware that she was mocking me. The Mate bond was a myth, a tale for hopeful children. That one day, they'd lock eyes with the one meant for them.

"I mean, why else would Alpha Kale find any interest in an Omega?"

I froze. How did she know? Was it so obvious? Was she simply insulting me?

"Excuse me." I murmured before turning away from her. She had a plastic smirk over her face as I walked away, admittedly slower than desired.

But if I walked any faster, I'd trip over my skirt and draw even more attention towards me. I hated attention, I didn't want people looking at me anymore.

What did he see in me? What could he see in me? Sure he said he didn't care about rank, but why would he want me? How could he love me?

I found myself distanced from the party, there was a park located a little ways away with a gazebo tucked near some tall trees.

I walked up the steps, admittedly a bit shaky, as I hauled the large skirt up with me.

It wasn't shaped in a circle, but it was close enough, there wasn't anywhere to sit, but for some reason, I preferred it this way. The bars were cool on my palms as I looked back at the lights. But at the same time, I leaned away from them, wanting nothing less but to disappear into the dark. I didn't belong here.