Get To Know

The sun peeked in through the windows signaling that it was late in the day.

I scrunched my nose before slowly opening my eyes. The lodge was quiet, morning sunlight still lighting it up even as late as it was. Sitting up, I saw that a particularly large wolf had snuggled up next to me and that the flames in the fire place had gone out.

A big yawn left my lungs as I stretched my arms above my head. Admittedly, I was tempted to just go back to sleep. But I got up and went over to my small kindle pile, picking out an assortment of twigs and sap.

Once I had a small cluster of them, I went over to the fire place and began cleaning it out. The chimney had gotten a bit plugged up, but I was able to handle it and got it open again.

A bunch of snow fell into the cabin of course, but I eventually was able to gather everything up and take it outside.

It was actually fairly warm outside, considering it was winter. But I didn't dawdle and threw out the ashes and snow from the chimney before heading back inside to restart the fire.

It was a bit damp, but I managed to get a flame going. Then I piled a couple logs on top and got to my feet. The fire would warm the cabin a bit more, and when I was sure the fire wouldn't die, I headed upstairs to take a shower.

This helped get the grease that had been building up out of my hair. I thought about the wolf down stairs as I scrubbed away the ash marks over my arms. Or rather, I thought about what he'd said yesterday.

"They were way over priced! I simply persuaded them to fix their costs."

Was that true? Seeing as I mostly stayed away from the village, I didn't really have any coinage because I traded goods with the shopkeepers. Had he been over charging me this entire time?

A frown pulled at my lips as I washed the soap out of my hair.

I'd never really thought anyone in the pack would pick on me like that, or any other way. They mostly left me alone.

Alone, now that was a word I hadn't thought of in a while. At least, not in the short while that Kale had been here. With him here, I wasn't alone, he made me feel, happy.

The water turned cold suddenly, making me jump. I quickly finished up and turned off the shower before getting out and drying myself. With the towel wrapped around me, I walked across the hall to my bedroom and made sure to shut and lock my door as I got dressed.

I slipped on a large sweater over my chest and comfortable jeans underneath. Today was somewhat of a lazy day. I had a few extra pelts thanks to Kale's 'negotiation' skills, so I didn't have to go out to hunt for pelts today.

I hummed, smiling at the thought. It had been a while since the last time I had a 'lazy day'.

When I opened my door, I was in a fairly happy mood as I headed down the stairs.

The Wolf near the fire place glared at me as a greeting.

"What?" I asked looking at him confused. He only snorted at me before crawling up on my couch.

"Hey! Off the couch or shift back, I don't want to deal with fur in my cushions." I frowned at him and he gave me an annoyed look.

I simply folded my arms and stared at him while tapping my foot. I only waited a few minutes before he shifted back.

"Wood floors are the worst." He grumbled, stretching his arms up and I heard his back pop.

"You don't have to sleep on the floor." I told him with a shake of my head and a smile over my mouth. There it was again, even when he did something I didn't like, he still ended up making me smile.