Snowed In

"What are you doing still out here?"
I turned to see Kale frowning at me.

I'd walked a little farther from the lodge to collect some kindle. I had been running low for a while now though his question was quite valid. I'd been out here far longer than needed.

I currently held a bundle of twigs and such in my arms with a fair sized log pile on my sled next to me.

"I was just watching the snow fall." I told him looking back at the sky.

Soft dark clouds flew above us, covering the atmosphere almost completely. There were only small specks of sky where I could spot a couple of stars. Large wet flakes were falling somewhat slowly, yet their pace had recently sped up a bit and now it was coming down steadily.

"You can do that from inside." He told me and I felt his hand next to mine, which was very warm.

I flinched, looking over at him, but then realized he was just taking the sled from me. Letting go of it a bit sheepishly, I tucked some of my hair behind my ear, then pulled my beanie over it to keep it warm.

"But you can't see it all from behind a window." I pointed out as he pulled the sled forward to get it out of the small dip it had been snowed in.

"You're going to freeze out here, you won't freeze inside." He retorted and started turning my sled around.

"But don't you ever just stop and look around you?" I asked and he turned to look back at me.

"What do you mean?"

I swung one of my arms out, gesturing at the forest around us. "Just look at this place! It may be cold and a little dark at times, but it's so beautiful. The Evergreens, the snow, the crystalized frost on the other trees. It's wonderful." I smiled and looked back over at him to see that he was staring at me. Dropping my arm, I looked down, kicking up some snow.

"Go ahead and say it, I know I sound crazy." I murmured with a pout.

"You are crazy. Standing outside with a snow storm on the way and you're not even wearing a coat." He walked over and grabbed my now free hand, enveloping it in such warmth it stung my fingers.

"Come on, let's go inside."

A bit reluctantly, I started following him, letting him pull me back to the lodge. It was alight with warmth and I found a small smile rest over my lips. I'd never seen it like that before.

We paused for a moment, not yet going inside. I looked up at Kale wondering why we'd stopped and saw that he was looking out at the darkening forest.

"It is beautiful." He murmured before opening the door, having me go inside first. My smile grew a little, but I tried to contain it as I put the kindle away.

Kale started helping me with the wood before hissing. Immediately, I took the logs he'd been holding away from him.

"Sit in front of the fire and take off the coat. I must have forgot to change your bandages this morning, so they're probably not helping as much as they could."

He frowned but nodded, heading over to the fire place.

I put the rest of the logs away in a small closet next to the fire place before taking my sled around back and putting it somewhere I could find it after the storm.

It was coming down fast now, small and large snow flakes covering the ground. The snow level had risen by the time I got back to the front door. There wasn't a terrible difference, but I still shut the door quickly behind me.

Walking over to the window, I looked outside as it continued to snow.

"It's coming down pretty hard now." I murmured before turning to look at the fire place.

Saved By The OmegaOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara