Bad News

I held back a groan, my head pounding.
Sitting up made my vision swim, but I forced myself to stay sitting up until I could see clearly.

I was in a sort of basement room, my hips hurt from the hard floor I'd been dumped on.

Looking around, I found there was little light, not that the lack of light stopped me from being able to see the little form in the corner curled up.

The little boy was shaking softly with a coat around his shoulders. He was staring at me with red eyes.

I turned so I was facing him before feeling something uncomfortable on my thigh.

It was a bit awkward, shuffling to grab it out of my pants, but I realized it was the object I'd ripped off of my attacker.

The object was a small bag, that held a key.

Had I really accidentally grabbed the key to the room I was locked in? I doubted it, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

I took it out and looked at the door.
Perking up my ears, I listened hard for anyone near by. There were foot steps in a pacing nature, but they were up a floor, no one was down here.

I crept over to the door quietly, inserting the key, so far so good.

Swallowing silently, I whistled softly as I turned the key. My whistle covered the clicking sound that signaled the lock being undone and I smiled.

Slowly, I opened the door, praying it wouldn't squeak, it didn't, and I stared into a wide basement that had a few more rooms off to the side.

I listened hard, but the only other sounds of breathing were coming from me and the small child behind me.

I turned back to him and held out an arm. First things first, I had to get them out of here, who ever took me wasn't gonna treat this kid very well. If I couldn't get away, I wanted to make sure they did.

The little boy stared at me in surprise before quickly running over into my arms. They were barefooted, but I scooped them up before they made too much noise.

I slipped out of the room in a crouch, looking around while holding the little boy close to my chest. He was light, very much so, and I had a feeling he hadn't eaten very much.

I'd have promised to keep him safe, if I wasn't so focused on not making a sound.

Crossing the open room wasn't difficult. It was dark and there weren't any windows.

The only light came from a case of stairs on the other side. I hid beside them, trying to peek up them. There wasn't anyone there. I perked my ears once more and heard the pacing again, they were a little ways off from the stairs. If I timed it right, I could make a break for it.

Before doing so however, I put the kid down, which was a bit difficult since they wouldn't let go at first.

I took off my scarf and spread it over my knee.

I took the kid's hand and formed a finger before spelling on my leg 'R-E-A-D-?'

The little boy took a minute before recognition appeared in his eyes and he nodded.

I smiled at him before pointing at my scarf and then spelling 'A-L-P-H-A'.

The little boy took another minute before frowning at me, but he nodded.
I offered him another smile as I wrapped the scarf gently around his neck and picked him up again.

I listened for the pacing to get a little closer to the stairs before I started creeping up them.

Then once the steps started away from the steps, I bolted.