Don't Say It

It took him a few minutes, but soon he came back down the stairs, looking over at me as he did.

I turned away from the fire place and headed to the kitchen.

He caught my hand before I left the room and I felt myself tense at how effective such a gentle hold was on me.

"I...I need to get home." Kale told me softly, I bit my lip hard, but nodded.

"It's nearly lunch time, I'll make you something for the road." I offered and pulled my hand away.

His grip seemed to tighten, just a little, as my hand slipped away from his. But he let go, which meant that I should too.

I was quick about making him a sandwich, I would have made one for myself, but I suddenly wasn't hungry.
Kale stood in the living room waiting to leave, I handed him the sandwich with a small frown.

"You're not going to take a coat with you?"

"I'll be running as a wolf, I won't need one." He told me and I put my hands on my hips.

"Still, if you get stuck out there you're going to want a coat." I went over to my closet and grabbed the spare he'd been using.

"I can't take that Aubrey." He told me as I pushed it into his arms.

"It's a spare, I can always get a new one." I told him simply and also gave him the beanie I'd let him use on our way to the village.

Lastly, I pulled my gloves out of my coat pockets and held them out to him. He frowned at them.

"I'm not going to shift back into a human Aubrey." He tried to argue with me, but I looked him in the eye.

"Just take it. If you don't use it then you can throw it away if you want. But if you need it, I want you to be able to have it."

He paused at my words, staring back at me. After a second, he accepted the gloves and put them on. They were definitely small, but after adjusting them, they fit a lot better.

"Be safe." I told him and he nodded before turning away.

"Thank you Aubrey, for everything."

Then he walked out the door, and I was left alone once again.

It felt like my heart had gone with him. As soon as the door shut it felt like it had stopped beating. Suddenly, my cabin felt a lot more cold, empty even.
I sighed softly.

"Maybe I'll get a cat."