Home

I stared at my bag trying not to cry again.

Was I really doing this? I could possibly never see Kale again. Although, I almost never saw him even when we lived in the same house. Could I live like that?

The answer is No, I couldn't. I left my hair down, pulling a beanie over my head. I didn't take anything that I hadn't come with, that wouldn't be fair.

Closing the door to my room, I headed down the hall silently. I'd made it out of the house, but not three steps forward before I heard.

"Where are you going?"

I flinched but didn't move other than this.

Benji walked up to my side and looked at me, I stared hard at the ground.

"What are you doing out here?" I mumbled at her. I didn't think anyone had heard me exit the house.

"I saw you walking out the door." She told me while folding her arms. "So, where are you going?" She asked, and I started forward, admittedly, a bit hesitantly.

"I'm going home." I told her, heading into the street.

"Is that what you want?" She asked.

"I'm not a good Luna for this pack." I told her when I heard her foot steps behind me.

"I thought you didn't want to be Luna."

"I don't." I said quickly, and found myself picking up the pace.

"Then why do you care if you're a good Luna or not?" She asked, still keeping up with me, although I guess it wasn't hard.

"...I don't know."

We didn't talk anymore as we walked through the streets. The town was fairly quiet, though people were still out and about. I tried my best to avoid them however, I didn't want to make a big deal out of my leaving. But when we got to the edge of town, Benji said something that made me freeze.

"You love him, don't you?"

I stared at the trees ahead, swallowing hard. I wanted to be passed them already, but also running away from them at the same time.

"You wanna help him. Prove to him you can be what he needs you to be." She told me and I squeezed the strap of my bag.

"But I'm not." I choked on the words.

"Not yet. It takes time and practice, Aubrey." I flinched at my name.

"You think Kale became Alpha in just a few days? He was trained to be Alpha since he was born." I bit my lip after hearing that, turning to face her.

"You saw me in the market place Benji, I can't even take care of myself let alone someone else!" Tears were gathering in my eyes, but I didn't hide them, I didn't feel as though I could. Benji smiled patiently at me.

"Yes, I saw you trying to solve a situation to the best of your ability. I also heard about how you helped neighbors come to an agreement. Without solving the original argument you still helped people to be satisfied by solving another, deeper problem." She told me while putting her hands casually in her pockets.

"You may not see it, but you have so much potential Aubrey. You don't give yourself the credit you deserve." She shook her head with a smile. "Why don't we head back to the house?" She asked, but I took a step back.

"But-"

"Kale doesn't care that you're not perfect Aubrey. He's not perfect either, but he loves you too. You could ask him yourself." She told me gesturing back the way we'd come.

I was shaking lightly, I didn't know what to do. All of what she said, made me want to go back, so badly. But was it the right thing?

Benji smiled at me confidently.
"You're stronger than you think, Aubrey."

Those words..No one had ever told me that before, and yet it was something I never knew I'd always wanted to hear.

The tears were flowing even harder now as I cried, slowly reaching a hand out towards hers.

"You've always been such a problem, Benji."

I gasped as a shadow appeared behind the blonde, smacking her upside the head.

Benji's eyes rolled upwards as she fell forward. I tried to catch her, when a hand shot out and clapped around my mouth.

A muffled scream escaped, but as I inhaled to scream again, I smelt a bitter sweet scent as it coated my tongue, causing it to go numb. Grappling with the person behind me, I felt something like a bag at their belt, I ripped it off the person and smacked them in the head with my other fist.

They only grunted before grabbing my hand. Not wanting to loose the object I'd just obtained, I shoved it into my pants and continued to struggle. However, once they had both of my hands restrained, there wasn't much I could do.

My brain was hazy now, and I found it harder to keep my head up before I was forced into a thick blanket of black.