Traitor

I don't know how long it'd been since my little escape attempt, but I'd gotten hungry, very hungry.

Though I didn't dare think of food. The smaller of my cuts had healed, and my ankle was alright again, but I still had a fair amount of bruising. Still, I didn't think of that either.

What I thought about was the little boy. His small upturned nose and red eyes, his dark messy hair, the large coat that had swallowed his small frame. He couldn't have been any older than 6, maybe 7, and he'd looked so scared. I hoped that he was alright. This girl, who I realized I didn't know the name of, had let him go. She didn't bother to even look for him, so he'd probably alright.

Then there was the other little girl, she'd looked so guilty when I looked her way. She had to have been forced into her actions. A small click from the door made me flinch as it swung open a little.
It was the little girl from the market. She slid a plate of food my way before starting to close the door.

"Wait!" I hissed quickly and the girl jumped before looking at me. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." I said, starting over to her, but she started to close the door.

I stopped moving closer to her.

"Kelly, is that your name?" I asked. She hesitated before nodding.

"I'm Aubrey." I smiled at her gently, but she frowned.

"Those people, from the market. The one's who'd called your name, they weren't your parents were they?" I asked.

The little girl shook her head.

Everything was slowly starting to make more sense. 5he reason she'd looked so worn and homeless was to make me want to help her more. The people who'd scolded her before were dressed too nicely. Even if they had been her parents they wouldn't have been very good parents letting their child walk around in clothes like the ones Kelly wore.

"Where are your parents?" I asked and she bit her lip.

"Please Kelly, I want to help you." I told her softly with a pleading look.

"Their gone." She frowned at me and I flinched.

"Oh, I'm sorry..." I apologized quietly.

The little girl just shook her head and started to close the door again.

"Kelly wait please." I asked and she paused.

"I'm not supposed to be down here." She told me with a hiss, surprising me. This was the punishment that girl had talked about. Kelly wasn't supposed to give me food.

I looked at the plate, it didn't have much. Abit of cheese and bread, it wasn't a feast, but I didn't care. I grabbed the food slowly before sliding the plate back over to her.

"Why are you helping them? Did they threaten you?" I asked and Kelly grabbed the plate before shaking her head.

I stared at her face for a minute. She had dark brown eyes and badly cut hair, button lips and a slightly upturned nose. A small smile appeared on my lips.

"Your brother isn't here." I told her and she nodded.

"I figured."

The food wasn't even for me, she'd come down here to feed her little brother, but of course she would have seen he wasn't here, and she'd given me the food.

"You should leave and go find him, I got him out of the house." I told her, she looked relieved for a second but she shook her head.

"I can't, I know too much." She was starting to shake, scared.

I frowned at that, biting the bread she'd given me when I remembered what Benji had told me before I'd gotten dragged off.

'Without solving the original argument you still helped people to be satisfied by solving another, deeper problem.'

"Kelly." I whispered as she'd started to close the door once again, the crack between us was small now as she was crouched outside of the door frame.

"I've got an idea to get us both out, but I need your help." I told her. The brunette frowned at me, clearly not believing me.
"I will get you out of here Kelly, no one will hurt you anymore." I told her and she perked up at that. Suddenly, she reached her arm in, her pinkie stuck out.

I blinked at it blankly.

"Pinkie promise?" She asked with an all too serious look. I'd thought she would have been too old for these kinds of promises, but I didn't complain.

Lacing my finger with hers, I nodded.
"I pinkie promise, No one will hurt you again. We're gonna get out of here together ok?"

Kelly stared at me for a minute, nodding slowly before she pulled her arm back out.

"You gotta tell me the plan quick though, I can't be down here much longer."

I nodded. "Ok."