Homeward Bound

"Aubrey, Hey, get up."

I hummed, rubbing my face softly as I sat up and looked around. Kale was sitting next to me still, having not moved. I don't remember a time where I'd slept so often, or so comfortably.

"It's stopped snowing." Kale told me and pointed out the entrance, which by now, was half way closed. Sure enough, when I crawled over, the air was clear of snowflakes, and the layer of snow was crisp and clean on the ground. I couldn't help but sigh softly.

"Well, then we should get going. Before the snow starts up again." I told him and tugged on my gloves before pushing some snow away from our little hole.

My gloves sunk deep into the cold powder, but I'd expected that. I started scooping it out of the way before calling over my shoulder.

"If you didn't like the weather before, you're going to hate getting back to the cabin." I told him with a bit of a giggle.

The brunette groaned as he came over.
I crawled out into the open and looked around us. It was breath taking, the sun was shining brightly, even though it was clearly evening. My stomach growled softly as I hugged myself.

"Maybe we should hunt before heading back?" Kale suggested, his stomach also growled, louder than mine. I smile a little.

"If we spot some prey, we can hunt it, but I think we should try to head to the cabin, there's already food there." I pointed out.

"Yeah, I don't know what you have at your cabin, but it's not much." He told me, walking over and ruffling my hair.
I pouted.

"Well I don't normally have visitors, and I've lived a fairly healthy life." I told him while folding my arms. He just patted my head as I looked around.

"Sure thing."

I looked over at him with a pout, until spotting what looked like a small smile pulling at the corner of his lips. I bit down on my bottom lip to prevent me smiling like an idiot. I'd gotten him to smile. It may have only happened once or twice now, but I made him smile. This made me very happy indeed.

I took a deep breath in an attempt to catch our old scent trails. But all I could smell was Kale's very strong scent as he stood next to me.

"I can't trace our prints, the snow fall covered them." I hummed, Kale copied my actions and thought for a minute before nodding towards the hole we'd just come out of.

"We ran past here."

I blinked at him surprised as he started moving around the stump we'd inhabited during the snow fall.

"H-How can you tell?" I asked as he started away, and I followed after him quickly.

"Well for one, that's how we found this log in the first place. Second, It's faint, but I can still catch your scent." He said simply as we started into the forest.

"Are you sure it's mine? It could be someone else that happened by." I said, looking for any prints in the snow. I nearly bumped into him as he turned and sniffed me. I stiffened a little in reaction before he shook his head.

"No, it's yours. You have a very unique smell." He said as he started off again.

My cheeks turned a defined pink, was that his way of saying I stunk?

"Uh, thanks?" I said in a questioning tone, but he didn't respond, he just continued through the snow.

"Maybe it'd be better if we shifted." He grimaced as the snow came up above his knees.

I hummed with a smile at his freezing expression.

"Are you sure that's a good idea? It might be worse for you to have your torso in the snow."