Chapter 14 | You Destroyed Me

Mallika's Point Of View

Giving a disgusting look at me, he threw the towel on a nearby chair and slept on the bed. Just like that? No regret, no apology, no shame of hitting his own wife! And here I thought that he would apologize. How stupid of me to think that. It's stupidity to expect an apology from a man who hits his wife.

What did I do? What is my fault? Why is this so a sudden change? What was he talking about hiding something from him? What the hell did I hide from him?! I told him whatever was important for him to know. What did I do to get this treatment?!

Here I'm sitting on the cold floor and he is sleeping on the bed peacefully. I so want to go near him, wake him up, and ask why he behaved this way with me. But I just cannot do that. My body is not ready to move from its shock state. I'm not able to stop my cry.

Burring my face in between my knees, I cried. I cannot let him hear me cry. He cannot think I am weak. If he thinks that I am from those girls who will bear all the tortures done by her husband then he is wrong! I will not bear it if he does anything wrong to me.

I was shivering because of the AC temperature. I'm not used to being in artificial cooling for a long time. I was feeling cold still I was not in the state to get up and increase the temperature or get a blanket and cover myself. Taking my saree's pallu, I covered it around my shoulder and somehow drifted to sleep.

I woke up with the sound of my alarm and found myself lying on the floor covered in my saree pallu. I slowly got up as my body had stiffened a bit due to sleeping on the bare floor. My gaze fell on the bed and found it empty meant Nahush was already up. He saw me lying on the bare floor but didn't do anything. Wow! Just wow!

I then thought of taking a bath, I approached my suitcase when I found my top and pants lying on the floor. That's when the memory flashed and I remember last night I was about to change and that's when Nahush slapped me.

I took my clothes from the floor and kept them inside the bag. Taking my inners and a saree, I went inside the washroom to do my morning business and to take a bath. When I entered the washroom I just stood at the same spot and kept admiring the beautiful washroom. It is way too big for a washroom. Maybe it's normal for rich people. God! Even that bathtub is so big! It's just beautiful!

I quickly took a hot shower bath. I wore my saree inside the washroom and came back to the room. I started to dry my wet hair with a towel when I heard the sound of the door opening. It was my husband, Nahush.

He looked at me with his blank eyes and my eyes held sadness. Without saying a word he entered the washroom. A single tear escaped from my eye.

My life is ruined. I concluded. I did my morning prayer and started to make the room tidy. I can't help it as it's my habit. After that, I went down. Finding no one in the hall, I went to the kitchen where I found my mother-in-law.

When she saw me entering the kitchen, she genuinely smiled and looked at me, and said, "Good morning, beta." I wished back the greeting and placed my head on her feet to take her blessings. Again, it's my habit to take blessings from elders after praying to God.

Before 7 AM breakfast was prepared. After that, I and Aai (mother/mother-in-law) went out to the dining table and it shocked me to find the whole family i.e. Nahush's grandma, father, brother, and sister sitting at the dining table and that too completely ready. All the relatives had left for their house yesterday only. Looking at my wristwatch I saw it was perfectly 7 AM. God! This family is so punctual! How am I going to adjust? What about my beloved sleep? The thought that I wouldn't be able to sleep as much as I wanted made me sad.