Chapter 18 | Boyfriends

Do listen to the above song ☺️

Third Person's POV

Nahush woke up with a slight headache. He got ready to go to his office with a slightly heavy head. Because of his business workload, he didn't take more leaven even though it's been only five days since their marriage. In his hangover, he almost forgot that he had a wife and he is married. Bidding goodbye to his grandma and mom, he was about to leave when he was stopped by his mom. He turned in his mom's direction and asked, "Yes, Aai?" She came out of the kitchen holding a tiffin box. "Aai, why do you have to make it? It wasn't necessary." He said looking at the tiffin. "How isn't it necessary? You go to the office without breakfast and always eat lunch in your office canteen. For now, you will only eat homemade food. And by the way, this tiffin is not made by me." His mom said with an excited smile to which Nahush raised his brows in a questioning way. "Aare bhudu, your wife made it." Oh yes, I'm married. He remembered. "Not only for you but also for your dad, Owi and Nishant. You know she woke up even before me and had already prepared breakfast and packed tiffins. She cleaned the kitchen and left for her office at 6. All of us already had our breakfast except for you. Let me tell you the breakfast was so tasty. I'm really blessed with Goddess Annapurna!" She said with dreamy eyes. She felt blessed to have a daughter-in-law who cooks excellently and takes care of every family member. Which mother-in-law won't be happy to have a daughter-in-law like such? He felt irritated hearing compliments of Mallika from his mom's mouth. He shook his head and left taking tiffin from his mom's hand.

After reaching his office he got completely busy with his work. It was past lunchtime after he concluded a meeting regarding his next project. He didn't want to have tiffin made by Mallika but gave in when his stomach growled in hunger. He took the tiffin and started to open it when he remembered the memory of last night. How he got drunk, breaking the promise given to Mallika, and how she fed him with her own hands. He smiled at the memory of her feeding him but soon controlled his smile. He knows even if she is bad but he shouldn't have broken his promise. He again made a promise to not break any promise. Mentally making a note he opened the lunch box. A frown appeared on his face as soon as he saw the packed lunch. "How happy Aai was when her daughter-in-law made tiffin for everyone and what has her dear Sunnbai (daughter-in-law) made? Patatyachi bhaji ani chapatti (potato's bhaji and chapatti)! Wow just wow!" Talking to himself he took a bite of it and he was so into it. He didn't though that a simple dish like this could be so tasty. Though the lunch was simple but was healthy and not to forget tasty. He finished his lunch and got back to his work when his phone started ringing. It was his wife's ex-boyfriend to whom his wife cheated, his best friend, Kavya.

Why is Kavya calling me? With which mouth will I talk to him?

He was feeling ashamed to talk to his best friend all because of his wife. He finally answered the call and they started speaking as they usually speak as if nothing happened and for some reason, Kavya sounded normal or... acted normal?

"Nahush, I'm engaged," Kavya said finally coming to the point making Nahush shock.
Why is he lying? Nahush thought he was lying about the engagement just for his sake and decided to act along.

"Engaged! Yo-you are engaged and you didn't invite me?" He said faking anger. "I'm so sorry yaar. Everything happened so fast that even I didn't know I'd get engaged yesterday. It was a quick decision from both families so just now I'm finally engaged." Kavya replied.

"So finally my friend is engaged to his Panchi." Nahush took her name intentionally in the hope that he would let out everything instead of keeping in the pain in his heart and suffering alone. There was a pause for some time after which Kavya said, "I'm not engaged to Panchi. My fiancée's name is Yashika."

"What are you saying, Kavya? What about Panchi and who is Yashika?" he asked about Mallika only so that he could be unaware of the fact that he knows that Panchi was none other than his wife Mallika but he was really concerned about his friend.

So he is really engaged to some Yashika.

"Panchi and I are not together, Nahush," Kavya said his voice sounding heavy. "Why what happened?" Nahush asked acting unaware. "Whatever happens which is not important. My mom had chosen a girl for me a long time back and I said yes to the marriage and the next day my mom called that girl and her family came to our house and both the family decided to get us engaged at that moment itself and I agreed."

Kayva said acting to be normal but failing as his sniffle could be heard. No matter how strong he tries to act but Nahush knows how broken he sounds. He knew his best friend very well. He didn't know what to say but still tried to sound normal.

You have broken such a good guy's heart, Mallika. You have played with all of our feelings. You will receive double the pain that you've caused to my friend. You will suffer for all those cries and sleepless nights he is suffering. For cheating him, my parents, and me and playing with all of our hearts, YOU WILL SUFFER. This is my promise to you.

•••

"Yes Iram, I've just reached home... You don't know Iram, my mother-in-law offered me a glass of water as soon as I reached home and when I got up to do the remaining work, my grant-mother-in-law and mother-in-law told me to go to my room, freshen up and rest... obviously I'll go down to help them after getting fresh... Give your Ammi-Abbu my greetings... Bye." She hung up the call of her female colleague, Iram who became her close friend only after a few days of knowing each other. Iram shares all of her feelings with Mallika and Iram is the only one to whom Mallika has told about her ex and even about the ill-treatment which is given by her husband. She didn't want to tell anyone about her suffering but as always, Iram quickly understood that there was something wrong and finally Mallika let out her feelings.

It was the first day of her office after her marriage. She had taken only 5 days of leave and if weekends were included then 7 days of leave as Nahush had already informed before marriage that they would not be able to go for a honeymoon soon because of business projects. Taking a comfortable plazo and kurta, Mallika changes her salwar kameez. Completing the remaining housework she helped her mother-in-law to prepare dinner. Everyone had their food except for Mallika as she was waiting for Nahush but he had not reached. He informed his mom saying he'll get late. After cleaning the utensils and kitchen, Mallika went back to her room. It was around 10:50 when Nahush reached home. Locking the door he went straight to the kitchen since he was hungry. Serving himself, he had his dinner. He kept the plate in the sink and tired body, went to his room. He had worked a lot today. He just wanted to lie on the bed and go to sleep. Nahush was about to open the door of his room when he heard the voice of Mallika speaking something. "You know what; I shouldn't have a boyfriend or not even get married when I have you all. I was so happy when I had only you. Such an idiot I was that even after having such handsome boyfriends I had to have another one. If I would have been with all of you then I would not have to go through these sufferings. But thank you all for always being there with me. I love you all." Nahush's hands were now fisted. His teeth clenched, and hot breath was fanning out of his nose. His face was red with anger. Pushing open the door he went inside the room and found her sitting on the bed, leaning on the bedrest with her mobile in front of her face. She looked and the direction of the door. Her smiling face looking at the mobile raised his anger. Taking big steps, he reached Mallika and before she could process anything, his strong hand raised giving a painful tight slap across her face making her fall on her right-hand side on the bed. A small amount of blood came from her left-hand side lips. Soon tears started to stream from her eyes. Keeping his left knee on the bed he raised her holding her hair in a tight grip. His hand left her hair but soon fisted to give a punch on her face and she fell on the bed with a loud thud. He held her jaws in a painful grip and said, "You shameless girl, you already had boyfriends before being in a relationship with an innocent boy? You kept cheating on him and even now you are cheating on me! You, disgusting woman! You regret getting married, you regret marrying me, huh? Don't worry; I'll give you the real reason to regret."

°°°°°°°°°°

Published - December 28, 2019