05 • Rainy Bliss

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

"You know what, you're right. I don't want to be anywhere around you." He said stepping backwards.

He grabbed his keys from the hook next to fridge.

"Where are you going Vinay?" I asked.

He ignored me.

"You do know that college starts tomorrow right?" I shouted after him as he opened the main door.

"Fuck it." He replied loud enough for me to hear before banging the door shut.

●○●

After Vinay stormed out of the house, a comfortable silence gradually settled in the air. Honestly, I was relieved right now. Vinay's reaction had played out much differently than what I had imagined. I don't know what I expected from him actually...maybe things to be hurled across the room and raised voices.

I certainly wasn't expecting controlled whispers and the fact that he held back from hurting me physically in any way.

Guilt overtook my mind. I felt like I had been placing him on a pedestal, like someone under observation. More like a lab rat than an actual person.

I sighed. I shouldn't have done what I did. I had crossed a line tonight. Baiting Vinay the way I did, just to get a reaction out of him was too low a thing for me to have done. If anything he deserved an apology and brownie points for the way he controlled himself. He had run away, but still.

Placing a vessel on the stove, I kept some rice to boil. That was the easiest thing to cook and I was too tired to cook anything so a bowl of rice and greens would do for tonight.

Wind whistled through the closed balcony door, and I went to open it to let the cold air in. Just as I opened the sliding door, raindrops started falling in a light drizzle. The cool showers were a welcome change from the blistering heat of the Indian summer.

I brought my dinner to the balcony and stood there watching the raindrops fall to the earth, cleansing the dust off the roads and trees.

Their periodic pitter patter filled my ears like music amidst the occasional thunder and lightning. It started with a slow rhythm and picking up pace slowly, rising from a faint sound in the background to a loud din that blocked out all the noises of the material world.

Before I knew it, the lights in the house went out, drowning me in the darkness. I wasn't afraid, I was used to summer storms like this. Instead I reveled in the comforting smell of wet mud and grass that filled my nose.

I moved to the kitchen slowly, letting my eyes get adjusted to the dark. Opening the small cabinet above the sink I rummaged for the candles I had seen in the morning when I'd scoured through the kitchen cupboards.

Grabbing two half used candles, I lit them with a lighter and placed them carefully in the living room.

I brought pillows and a blanket from my bedroom and set them down on the floor, in a corner so that I could sit there and watch the rain.
Icy cold gusts of wind hit my body from time to time, making the hair on my body stand up.