25 • Karela Couture

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

"Now go wash your face and forget about what happened. And congratulations on getting your first real job," Dad smiled, " Go celebrate your success instead of wallowing now."

"I'll try." I offered him a weak smile.

"That's my girl! I should get going now. Bye."

"Bye."

I shut the laptop screen, and let the tears flow without any apprehension for some time before wiping them away.

I had to go shopping with Roshni for an outfit to wear to the TYCHE anniversary party and right now shopping sounded like great constructive therapy.

●○●

"Are you sure this the latest style?" I asked Roshni, as I reluctantly held up the dress she'd zealously thrust into my hands, "I'm not trying to pull off the karela couture look!"

"I don't know, but it looks pretty good on their mannequin, so I'm assuming you can pull it off too." shrugged Roshni, browsing through another rack.

We were currently inside a the mall, in one of the those chic boutiques that sold cheap but cute clothes. With the right amount of searching, you could put together a wonderful outfit all within your budget.

I held up the metallic silver skirt that Roshni had shoved into my hands and eyed it skeptically.

"You know it's an office cocktail party...not a college kid's rave party. I'll look like a freaking stripper if I where this!" I whisper yelled.

"Might as well be," she replied simply, "Is anyone in your office even older than twenty five?"

Is there?!

"Kumar uncle is thirty five, I think. He's the security guard outside the building." I said, my lips curving downwards into a slight frown.

She paused mid step to throw me a bemused look, before shaking her head turning into the next aisle.

"Ok, you're right. It might escalate and become wild but I'd like to look as professional as possible. I'm aiming for a job remember, not seducing Mr. Deb with my curves." I said in a matter of fact tone, holding my hands up to heighten the effect.

With an annoyed groan I pulled myself along.

"What do you think about this one?" I held up a black and yellow maxi with a lace bordered neck.

"Eww, Akira..." Roshni gagged, and narrowed her eyes in disgust, "You want to look classy, not like bumblebee royale, for God's sake!"

I tossed it aside, raising my eyebrows as I did. It was a random dress I picked up anyway, and even with my novice fashion sense, I knew that yellow made me look like a banana.

Don't get me wrong, bananas are my raison d'être but looking like one was very....unattractive, I guess?

"So, did you find out who Neel's been texting secretly?" I asked, as I scanned the racks for something I liked.