27 • Delirium

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

He turned too, we were facing each other now.

"Okay, let's see," Vinay rubbed his growing stubble, "Let me tell you about how fantastic Millie's dance recital was today. So basically she was wearing an extraordinarily pink outfit. Is that even fucking possible? That's beside the point. So yeah..."

Before long I found myself clutching my stomach as I rolled with laughter. When he told me that one child peed onstage, I completely lost it.

It was funny how Vinay had slowly inched his way into my life and carved a place for himself in my book of memories.

He was going to be very hard to forget.

●○●

I tucked a stray strand of my freshly straightened hair behind my right ear, inspecting my appearance in the mirrored walls of the lift as it travelled up to the rooftop of the hotel.

TYCHE had booked the rooftop lounge for the anniversary get together and by the number of cars that had been waiting in line for valet parking, the party was already in full swing.

You got this, Akira. I told myself, exhaling slowly. Just hold your chin up and walk in like you own the place.

I don't even know why I was freaking out so much! Most people wouldn't even recognize me since I'd been interning for only about three months now.

It was probably just nerves, it had to be.

"Your invitation, Madam." A man dressed in black formals asked at the entrance to the open roof.

I handed him the card that Mihir had graciously had sent to my workstation.

The man ticked my name off his list of guests and nodded, before handing back the invitation. "Have a wonderful evening, Madam."
I smiled graciously, as I slipped the card back into my little black sling bag and made my way out.

I had to admit the founders of TYCHE had taste. The latest hits were playing from the speakers, everything from Drake to Neha Kakkar.

There was a buffet on one side of the rooftop decorated with golden fairy lights, and the wet bar on the other side.

I scanned the crowd of vaguely familiar faces for Rishi. He said he'd be coming for the free alcohol.

Unsurprisingly, I spotted him near the wet bar, leaning forward with his elbow resting on the counter as the bartender deftly mixed him a drink in a shot glass. Vodka, I guess, judging from its cherry red hue.
I needled my way through the crowd towards Rishi.

"Hey there!" I called out, tapping on his shoulder from behind.

"Oh hi Akira. Glad you decided to come," he grinned, "Isn't it just amazing?"

"Yeah, I honestly didn't think that HR would splurge so much on a single night. But what else do you expect from a bunch of twenty something year olds minting millions."