39 • Cranial Tornadoes

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

"Fine, I won't blow you kisses." Vinay huffed in a defeated tone, "But you are coming."

"Ugh. I'll come to you match," I conceded, an idea striking me at that moment, "And you know what, I'll even wear one of your old jerseys to the match."

"Now that's my girl!" he sucker punched the air happily.

Chuckling softly, I flipped my hair and sauntered into class and greeted the professor curtly.

●○●

A strong guest of wind blew my loose hair strands onto my eyes, the leaves of the large old gulmohar rustling eerily in the dark. Half the moon, shining extraordinarily bright in it's large gibbous form, hid behind feathery wisps of white clouds as though it was playing a game of hide and seek with the stars.

I was sitting cross legged on the cool granite floor of the small balcony, attached to the sitting room, trying to cram a rather trying chapter of compilers and operating systems. I was armed with a highlighter, a double tipped one that had both fluorescent orange and pink ink.

Normally, I spent the time after dinner doing topics I found interesting but I'd been putting this chapter for longer than I'd expected to and I'd finally decided to stop procrastinating and be done with it so that I wouldn't have to suffer the week before the next series of tests.

Setting aside my books, I stretched my legs forward and leaned behind on my arms, to look up at the dark sky splattered with shades of purple and blue and black. A humongous yawn escaped me, and I rubbed my eyes slowly.

"Stop rubbing your eyes so hard Akira. You'll get frightful dark circles if you keep up with that." My mother reprimanded, as she came out into the balcony holding a small steel bowl in her hand, "Here eat this curd."

Since when does rubbing eyes causes dark circles?

Shaking my head slightly, I chuckled.

My mother always seemed to come up with really bizarre reasons to get me to stop something she didn't like me doing.

"I don't want curd now, Ma. I'm full." I scrunched up my nose.

"Just a little bit, I've put some sugar in it because you don't like eating it plain," Ma reasoned with me, "And being full is hardly an excuse, Akira. Curd is good for digestion."

With a huff, I accepted the bowl from my mother and stuck a spoonful of the sweetened curd into my mouth.

"Happy?" I pouted, eating another spoonful.

Ignoring my childish display, Ma sat down next to me. For a woman in her early fifties she was pretty fit and agile, something that really stumped me because she never really exercised, unless you called daily errands and household chores exercise.