33 • Begin Again

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

"I'll miss you." I said at last before turning around and walking briskly out of the hospital to catch an auto rickshaw.

I'd always urged Vinay to be more mature about every decision he made. I should be glad right?

But it definitely hurt that he'd finally decided to be mature about something and that was our relationship.

Maybe the time apart would be helpful for both of us. Only time would tell....

●○●

I heard Vinay follow me out of the hospital building but he made no attempt to stop me and for that I was grateful.

Walking briskly to the end of the footpath i reached the rickshaw stand. A couple of rickshaw drivers had parked their vehicles and were chatting over a cup of tea rather animatedly.

They stopped abruptly on seeing me and flanked me from either side.

"Where do you want to go Madam?" one of them asked politely.

"Kasturba Road," I replied nonchalantly, "Uma Apartments."

"I'll take you, but that will cost sixty rupees madam." He said in response.

The others slinked away slowly, uninterested in the driving to Kasturba Road.

"But that's double the meter reading, bhaiyya!" I argued.

"I know madam. But that area has a lot of traffic. I end up burning double the petrol if I have to drop you there and come back here." He shrugged.

"I'll give you forty rupees." I attempted to bargain, glaring at him.

"I'll take you for fifty. If you don't want to pay that much ask someone else." The rickshaw driver countered.

"Fine." I huffed, rolling my eyes as I climbed into the bright green and yellow three legged vehicle.

I sighed. It sometimes made me wonder how these rickshaw drivers ended up bossing over their customers instead of the other way around. It was funny honestly because I'm pretty sure all marketing gurus say that the customer is the king.

The driver clambered into his seat and turned on the meter just for the sake of it and turned on the engine. With that a row of fancy LED lighting switches on in the front.

I spent most of the short ride rehearsing how I was going to confront my father.

Hi Dad! Thanks for poking your nose into my boring, uneventful life out of the blue. But Vinay's walked out now so basically thank you for nothing!

No, that sounded way too rude and I know that I can't talk to Dad like that anyway.

"Argh!" I muttered, my voice laced with frustration and silent rage.