10 • Hold Me Please

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

Your daily 4G high speed data limit has been exhausted. Extra charges will be billed to your account for extra usage. Terms and conditions apply. Thank you for your cooperation.

●○●

"Ughh!!" I let out a frustrated groan, resisting the urge to fling my phone across the parking lot.

"Give me your mobile phone." I demanded, holding out to Vinay.
He looked up lazily with one eye closed, "Why?"

"To call a freaking cab." I answered in a clipped tone.

"But I don't want to go home." He slurred, pouting adorably.

I smacked my forehead exasperatedly. I should probably just have let him rot in a jail cell for the night. Pretty sure it wouldn't be his first time.

"Fine, do as you please. I'm going home." I marched to the exit gate, dialing Neel's number.

"Hello Neel?" I started as soon as the call connected.

"Gosh, are you all right Akira?" he breathed out, "We were all so worried."

"Yes, I'm fine. Just wanted to head home, I'm taking Vinay with me. Tell the others not to worry." I answered, "Can you please book me a cab though. My data limit just got exhausted."

"Yeah, ok. Take care of yourself." Neel said.

I smiled at his concern, "Yeah I will. Thank you so much. Bye."

I stood alone on the footpath of the wide road, under a big orange street light, waiting for Neel to text me the cab details.

The cab rolled into the street after about five minutes, and I shoved my phone I to my purse after checking the number plate details that Neel had texted me.

"Wait up Akira!" Vinay shouted, struggling to walk straight as he slowly made his way across the parking lot, swaying from side to side just as the taxi arrived.

I pressed my lips in a thin line and rolled my eyes for the umpteenth time as I climbed into the back seat. Vinay piled in after me and shut the car door.

"Do you know this man, madam?" the driver inquired, eyeing him suspiciously in the rearview mirror.

"Yes." I replied.

The driver nodded in response. "Where to?" he asked, in a monotone.
"Kasturba Road." I replied.

"Where on Kasturba Road?"

"Uma Heights, behind the new post office."

The driver nodded and turned the key I to ignition, steering the car in reverse gear.

Vinay sat silently, supporting his head on the headrest behind him as he stared emptily out of the tinted windows of the cab.

I sighed quietly, shifting closer to the edge of the seat. I rested my head on the cool glass of the window and closed my eyes concentrating on tune of the old Hindi music that was playing softly from the radio.