23 • Habeas Corpus

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

Honestly, I didn't see any problem in letting myself feel what I wanted to feel. But something was holding me back.

What could possibly go wrong?

The worst I could get was I wounded heart, right? But that sounded far better than an incognizant heart and a misplaced mind.

Yet I couldn't put myself out there and tell Vinay what I wanted.

So once again, I asked myself the question that I hadn't found the answer to yet...Why me?

●○●

"Did you hear about the cocktail party organized by the HR department two weeks from now?" Rishi asked me, leaning back in his rotating chair and looking over the Plexiglas partition between our work stations.

"Not really. But it happens every year if I'm not wrong. It's kind of an informal anniversary celebration for the company." I replied, glancing up from my laptop, "Besides we're just interns and I'm not even twenty one yet so I didn't think I'll even be allowed to attend it."

"Poor you Akira," Rishi laughed, "I'm glad I turned twenty one three weeks ago, because free booze and gourmet food in a five star hotel is too awesome to pass."

I shrugged. Gourmet food- me like. Free booze- me not like.

Besides, crowded parties with a bunch of fake-os had clearly never been my scene. Plus you couldn't even dance in an office event, so count me out.

Shaking his head at my insouciant response, Rishi left his seat and I watched him head to the recreation room from the corner of my eye.

Blinking my eyes a couple of times, I rubbed my palms together lightly and got back to staring at the set of otherwise meaningless strings of code on my laptop screen. I was close, I just knew I was.

I had already connected my laptop to the main server, everything was in place. Hopefully the extra troubleshooting project I had undertaken would finally pay off. This wasn't what I was meant to do; as an intern my job was to just learn the predesigned programs and their variations.

I was taking a calculated risk, sneaking into the server room like I'd been doing for the last few months, but the moment I'd come across the unattainable bug I knew there was no going back.

Plus, solving the problem guaranteed me a permanent job with an unimaginable pay in TYCHE.

With a slow, deliberate exhale I expelled the stale air from my lungs as I looked at the program one last time before punching the enter button on the keyboard.

Your program is being processed. Please wait.

I bit my lip as the program loaded, the time seemingly slow down around me as I stared optimistically at the open tab. I swallowed vehemently, holding my breath in anticipation.