07 • It's TYCHE Not Tikki

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

Vinay laughed humorlessly. "Keep your pity, Akira. I don't want it. I'm dealing with my problems just fine. And just because you read some bullshit I wrote does not mean you understand me any better than you did before. So by all means, just fuck off."

I searched his face for emotion but I found nothing but hatred in his eyes. Hatred towards himself that was being reflected onto me.

He left me standing speechless there as he turned to go back into his sanctuary, and slammed the door onto my face yet again. This was the second time in four days.

Vinay was many things. He hid his scars behind the sturdy walls he'd built up around his mind. But he wasn't the egotistical asshole I'd presumed him to be, that was for sure.

●○●

"Akira, my dear!" my mother gushed affectionately, as soon as she saw my face on FaceTime.

Beaming at her, I sent a flying kiss her way which she gladly returned.

"Hi Ma! You look fresh. I suppose Delhi's been really kind to you. You look at least five years younger."

"Oh please. This face isn't going to look any younger now." She waved her hand in dismissal, "I just found that some of my old university friends stay close by and we've been meeting up. That's all."

"But you do look radiant. Been reminiscing those times you spent with your senior boyfriend, huh?" I raise my brow suggestively, biting back a snort.

"Shut up you silly girl!" my mother exclaimed, red tinting her cheeks, "Is that any way to talk to your mother now."

I laughed at her shyness, and Ma giggled like an teenager who'd just confessed to her first crush.

"So what was I about to say? You made me forget it now." she continued, trying to remember, "Yes. You remember that Damini Aunty who used to come to our place very often when you were in third grade?"

"Uhh...no." I replied, shaking my head.

"Doesn't matter." Ma said, seeing the clueless expression on my face.

"So what about her?" I prodded.

"Well, she has a son who is three years older than you. He just finished his BTech and is going to do his MBA this year. Do you want his number?" she asked, like she was asking whether I wanted to eat chapati for dinner.

"What? No! Ma, I know where you're going with this." I said sternly, "How many times do I have to tell you that I'm too young to even think about marriage. Second year of college has just begun for heaven sake."

"I know it's too early beta, but some day you'll have to start thinking about it right? And anyway your generation is into this dating business, so why not give it a try?" my mother reasoned, the classic Indian mom that she was.