06 • Scars That Run Deep

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

Besides, I was hoping that Mihir, being my project head, would put in a good word about me and I'd get a full time job at TYCHE. That was literally the only reason I was doing Mihir's work for him.

"Son of a bitch..." I muttered under my breath, pressing save.

"Exactly what I was thinking." Roshni agreed, "Now let's go submit that fast. I want to eat pani puri before the break ends."

"Let's go." I nodded, as I dusted my pant and followed her out of the college gates.

●○●

Surprisingly, I had seen Vinay in college on Monday. He was bunking class, in the parking lot behind the college building when I returned to college after submitting Mihir's presentation. He was sitting on a parked motorcycle with a couple of friends sitting on other bikes, laughing at something as they all smoked cigarettes.

He wore the same dark washed jeans, almost black that he'd been wearing when he stormed out of the apartment. His shirt had changed and so had the girl clinging onto his arm today.

She listened to every word that rolled out of Vinay's mouth like they were pearls of divine wisdom, choosing to be oblivious of the fact that she would be replaced tomorrow, and instead enjoying the day long fame that she'd got.

I pursed my lips in a thin line and walked away. Smoking on the college campus was prohibited. How these boys got away with breaking almost every rule in the college rulebook was remarkable! Or not.

I knew for a fact that they paid off the watchman to keep his mouth shut. The poor man obviously looked forward to getting the extra allowance.

Scrunching my nose in disgust, I shook my head noncommittally. What Vinay did and when he did it was honestly none of my business and I planned to keep it that way.

Vinay didn't return to the apartment that evening. Nor did he come back on Tuesday. I was beginning to wonder where he went.

Don't get me wrong. The quiet evenings had been surreal and I had slowly begun moving my work things to the living room.

But he was after all paying rent for this place, right? It's not like he was staying here for free.

Unknowingly, I started questioning myself. What did I ever do or say that hurt him so much?

I furrowed my brow. Or was I that despicable that he wanted absolutely nothing to do with me?

No, I certainly was not despicable. I huffed.

Vinay was the one with a stick up his sorry ass.

He'd been around me for less than an hour adding up all the time we'd been in the same room. Majority of which he had spent getting on my nerves, and then he had the audacity to make a dramatic exit.