49 • Unexpected Company

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

After a few minutes, Harsh sprinted out of the back door of the building and made his way towards us.

"Thanks, Harsh." Vinay nodded solemnly, offering him a reconciliatory smile.

Harsh nodded back in response before making his way out of the dimly lit lane.

I sighed. At least they wouldn't be ready to kill each other the next time they talked. It was a start.

●○●

It was one of the warmer winter mornings when my period showed up. According to my period tracker, it was six days early which was odd.

I sighed, the stress was definitely getting to me but I had to keep going. Missing classes wasn't an option because I'd already bunked many following the setting up of DantelSoft.

As I made my way to the kitchen to get something to eat, I felt a sharp pain shoot up from behind my belly button and I doubled over with a groan. It'd been so long since I had cramps that I had almost forgotten the pain. I groaned softly as I attempted to straighten up.

Grabbing a guava from the fridge, I hobbled back to my bedroom and transferred my pile of neatly arranged books and folders into my tote. I hadn't woken up early to study today because my back hurt. Instead I had spent the early morning hours lying in bed and listening to my special period playlist on Spotify. Needless to say, I felt guilty now.

The pleasant chilliness of the tropical winter hit me the moment I stepped out of the building into the misty whiteness of the air outside. At almost a thousand feet above sea level, Bangalore was blessed with lovely weather throughout the year despite being close to the southern tip of the country where it was usually sweltering hot.

I forgot my pain momentarily.

But by the time I reached college, I was breathing hard and my legs began to hurt. Lara greeted me as I rounded the corner of the first floor to reach the chemistry lab.

"Good morning Akira!" Lara grinned, bumping playfully into my side.

"Good morning." I returned her smile, "How many practical experiments did Professor Dang say we had to do?"

"Five, if you attended the last class and got your work graded. And eight, for the people who got an F grade or got DT due to lack of attendance." Lara replied instantly.

I slumped my shoulders and groaned.

"Well, thank heavens I've got only five experiments to do. Honestly, it's five too many but I guess I can manage." I said, sucking my cheeks into my mouth as we walked into the half occupied lab after giving our attendance.

Lara raised her brow in concern.

"First day of my period." I answered dully.

Lara chuckled as she said, "Fourth day for me. I've got paracetamol if you want. It'll dial down the pain and uneasiness."