CHAPTER 44

Word count: 5043

THIRD PERSON'S POV

After Thomas had healed for a few days at Greta's home, having awoken the next morning with a lazy smile. Deidre's heart had warmed and she had thrown herself into his arms, thanking Greta over and over again. After having breakfast the final morning, Deidre had thanked her appreciatingly again, giving her a firm hug while Thomas had stood by. Deidre was joyful as they walked in the woods for days, not resting on the nights and instead, continued their journey. Thomas had talked about their future for hours, all the plans he had for them.

And they ended up at a land far away from the pack. Thomas had come to a stop and Deidre urged him to keep going, wondering what he was doing, standing there with a big grin. Thomas remained standing there, picking a few flowers up and folding them into a bouquet, then he had shuffled through his backpack, searching for something while she stood by.

Deidre was filled with confusion as he continued kneeling on the ground, searching for more flowers. She told him there was no need for them and more would come along the way. He told her to stay standing there, turn around and wait. Deidre did so, not in the mood for any games and waited for him to stop with the childish tricks.

And when he told her to turn around, she did and found him kneeling down on one knee in front of her. Her mouth fell open as she took a look at him - a bouquet of flowers in his hands, a ring set in the middle and a nervous smile on his face.

"This is where we are going to build our home and I want you to marry me on this exact spot," he had said, nervousness tingling at her expression. "I want to build a home with you and this is where we are going to do it. I can feel it. This is the right place for us. And I want you to remember this exact moment years from now, as you are wearing the ring, the day I proposed and our life started. This is where our life begins together. Let us build a life so beautiful and remarkable. Together. Marry me, Deidre, and I will grant you it."

"Do werewolves even get married?" she laughed through a choked sob.

"Some do. We can be one of them. God, marry me, please. Marry me right now. We don't need anything else, not anyone making us a married couple. We just need us and this ring and our home. This is all we need. Will you? Will you create a life with me?"

"You won't need an answer! You already know it!" she cried, falling down on her knees as he slipped the ring on her finger. Deidre grabbed his face in her small hands, holding him close and cherishing the moment. Then she glimpsed at the empty land, surrounded by thick trees and a waterfall pouring close by, her forehead on his. "This is our home? Do you mean it?"

"More than anything. Now we just have to start creating it. Are you ready for a full-time journey with me? There is no part-time or bits and pieces? We have a long way to go to make this a home, so are you ready to wait this long?"

"I don't freaking care where we live for the remainder of this time? I will wait around forever if I have to. I'm here for the full-time journey, no bits and pieces."

As they started building it into a place they had in mind, they also created a smaller one within weeks close by. There was a small town twenty miles north and they bought all the supplies needed. It was astonishing, how nice and welcoming the villagers were like and Thomas started to wonder if this was what the rest of the pack was like. Turns out, most of the people there were on-the-run from their old towns and needed a place to crash. They met a few people who agreed to help on the house and time flew by.

And as it flew by, Deidre's stomach grew and eventually, they went to a doctor, who had no good news. Thomas listened by, cheek pressed to her stomach to hear a heartbeat, but there was none and as he broke down, Deidre held him close, unemotional.