The Arrival

Zork'ak had studied the humans. Xe knew that their race did not look the same like the Klyls, but xe had not been prepared for the diversity between them. As they exited their ship, their shades of color and heights and hair appeared foreign, as did their loud sounds and constant talking. They were making large movements, unnecessary actions, and as they neared, xe took in how small they all were. Not in height. Some of them were the Klyls' height, but others were much, much smaller. All of them, though, lacked the build of a Klyl. Xe understood why the Commander had accepted this mission to learn more about the humans. They looked frail but were a formidable opponent. It was necessary to discover why.

"Hello," the Commander said as the humans stopped before the five of them. They all answered in response with varying greetings. "I am the Commander of this base, and you will address me as such." Some of the humans looked to each other. Zork'ak cataloged the behavior to look for a pattern. "These are my Superior Officers: T'chet," the Commander motioned to xer left, "Azxan, Morej," xe motioned to xer right, "and Zork'ak." We each nodded in correspondence to our names. "Zork'ak will be your Officer of contact if you are in need of any assistance and with guiding you around the base until it becomes unnecessary." Xe paused, but the humans remained quiet. "You are dismissed to follow Strulet to your quarters."

They all turned to look at one of Zork'ak's higher ranking officers waiting to lead them up the corridors to their renovated wing. Strulet took the group away, and the Commander waited until they were gone to look to xer Superior Officers. "You are dismissed, except Zork'ak."

Xe stood waiting as xer fellow Officers entered the building. It was nearing third meal time. "You must debrief them after meal. Show them where the essential rooms are and teach them our rotations. I understand humans do best with a set routine. Submit a report before your restorative cycle."

"Yes, xir."

"Dismissed."

Strulet had left the humans to explore their rooms and the items that had been designed for them. Zork'ak approached each room, tapping xer talons as xe passed and collecting multiple at a time. They talked amongst themselves, but Zork'ak waited until all the humans were gathered before addressing the group.

"It is time for third meal, last meal of the rotation. I will show you where the meal room is. After, I will debrief you on your areas and the schedules for the base." Then, xe turned to walk away.

"So, what do you do around here?"

Zork'ak turned to the human on xer right. He was almost as tall xem, with short hair and a medium skin tone. Xe had studied the humans' names and pictures before they came, so xe knew this was Adam.

"I am the Superior Officer of Internal Affairs."

"Okay, but what do you do?"

"I ensure that the base is functioning as it should."

He breathed out and his mouth stretched a little. "You don't really make conversation, do you?"

"I am answering your questions."

He shook his head as they arrived at the meal room. The humans did not wait for instruction. Instead, they all entered, intuitively retrieving bowls and liquid and seating themselves at an empty table. Zork'ak, too, claimed a bowl, uncertain of where to sit with xer new assignment. Xe decided xer usual spot with the other Superior Officers would suffice.

Once the humans had finished their meal, Zork'ak had shown them where to dispose of their dishes and guided them around the base. They were more talkative than xe anticipated with many questions and seeking to explore. They asked unnecessary questions, too, mostly about Zork'ak's routines.

"Will you be hanging out with us a lot or is this just for the whole intro?" One of the females had approached xem. Jessica.

"What is 'hanging out?'"

"Oh, like will you be spending time with us?

Xe hesitated before answering. "Yes."

"Have to keep an eye on us?" She closed one eye.

"Is there a problem with your eye? Do they remove?"

She let out a loud noise. "No. It's called a wink because I made a joke. I was saying that you have to watch us to make sure we're not sneaking around or something, not that I really think that."

Humans were so indirect. Zorka'k was uncertain what she was trying to tell xem.

After a full walk around the base, Zork'ak returned the humans to their rooms with their expected schedules. There were three meals a day in the meal room served for half a cycle each. Otherwise, the humans had an equipped laboratory that they should be working in and tablets to upload their findings.

"Are you able to find the meal room in the morning or shall I retrieve you?"

"I think we've got it," one of the males, Steve, answered, "but if we don't show, you might want to come find us."

They all let out a loud noise, an indication of a positive emotion Zork'ak had come to learn indicates a positive emotion. Xe nodded, and turned to leave.

"Goodnight, Zork'ak!"

Xe stopped, turning to look back at the humans. Ascertaining that the phrase was a parting indication, xe responded, "Goodnight."