Slang

"Kobe!" Steve threw a half-eaten crop in an arc towards the trash can. Jessica swiped at it, knocking it out of its path just before it landed in the bin along the back wall. The room erupted in 'ooohs' and laughter.

"I totally had that!" Steve huffed, looking to Jessica. She just grinned.

Zorka'k watched as Steve picked up the crop, repeated the phrase again, and landed the shot this time.

"Is 'kobe' the type of crop that you are eating?" Zork'ak had never seen the humans announce the type of food, but Steve seemed to have the most Earth-like tendencies of the group.

"No. It's just, like, this phrase." Steve's mouth quirked up on one side, his eyebrows furrowed. "It means, well, uh-"

"It's this famous basketball player who throws the ball in an arc like that. His name is a phrase people will say before mimicking the way he throws. If you don't land the shot, though, it's kind of embarrassing." Adam stepped around Steve to drop a used material in the trash can unceremoniously.

"What would we do without Adam?" Steve asked mockingly.

He shrugged. "I'm just better at articulation."

"Does this phrase have an effect on the person's ability or trajectory of the item?"

"No, that's not what it's for."

Zork'ak followed Adam back to his work bench. "Then what is the point in yelling it?"

"It's referencing what some people consider to be funny."

"The method of launching a projectile is humorous to humans?"

"Not quite." Adam carefully measured out an enzyme solution. "Kobe Bryant is famous because he's good and he's known for always taking shots, not giving others the ball to also try."

"Greed?" Jessica had taught Zork'ak that word in reference to money.

"Yeah." Adam carefully dropped liquid on the inside of the growth he had cracked open. "Some people want to be the most famous, the best."

"His greed makes him humorous then?"

Vapors wafted up from the growth. "Pretty much. Humans like to take behaviors or faces that they find amusing and share it with others. They'll add words to short clips or pictures, and then they like to quote them in reference to something they believe to be enjoyable. They're called 'memes.'"

"And this 'Kobe Bryant' is a 'meme?'" Adam nodded. "Humans appear to find most of their amusement through other's shortcomings."

Adam huffed a laugh. "That is a very accurate statement."

"Yeet!" Zork'ak noticed a blur out of the corner of xer eye and turned around to see Kace launching a slightly melted container halfway across the room.

"Um, Adam?" Zork'ak slowly turned back towards Adam after the object loudly landed in the bin and Kace walked away, grinning smugly.

Adam laughed, shaking his head without looking up. "It's a meme, Zor."

Zork'ak cocked xer head. Xe did not quite understand this yelling or the purpose of these 'memes.' "I do not understand humans."

"Join the club," Adam said, carefully scraping away the melted mixture inside the growth.

Zork'ak paused, pausing to think over the materials xe had memorized about humans. "Um, Adam?" Adam looked up this time. "What is a 'club' and how does one join it?" Adam just laughed again, shaking his head, and looked back to his work. "Adam, I am being serious."

He huffed another laugh. "I know, Zor. That's why it's funny."