Birthday Parties

"So, you're a...what was it?" Kai asked xem.

Zork'ak looked up from where xe was eating. "A Klyl."

She let out a loud breath. "I know what your race is. Yesterday, the Commander called you an...officer?"

"A Superior Officer," xe corrected. "It is the highest ranking position underneath the Commander. I am the Superior Officer for internal affairs."

"And those other Klyls we met were also Superior Officers?"

"Yes. T'chet is the Superior Officer of external affairs, Morej conducts defensive coordination, and Azxan conducts the medicine and research."

"What about the Klyl who showed us to our rooms?"

"Strulet is an attendant."

Kai motioned with her extremity, but Zork'ak was unaware of what she was requesting. "What does that mean?"

"Xe relays messages and completes small tasks I require. Xe is the next rank beneath me."

"And then what?"

Gathering that she was seeking a full explanation, as were other humans leaning closer to listen to such an explanation, xe continued, "There are few attendants, two or three per Superior Officer, and then we have our officers. They are trained to assist us in completing all tasks and assuming responsibility if necessary. Beneath them are assigneds: fighters for Morej and T'chet, medics for Azxan, and laborers for me. They conduct more hands on and immediate tasks within their field. Finally, we have trainers. They are the youngest, usually having just been assigned and are learning to assume a position that will be vacated soon."

Kai lifted and dropped her head in an affirmative gesture. "That makes a lot more sense than how most countries do it back on Earth."

Zork'ak had learned the rankings of the intergalactic board quickly following their initial meeting to know who to address. It was more complex than their standard method as Klyls. There was never a case where a younger Klyl would overtake an older Klyl for a position, but that was in relation to the fact that positions only became available as a Klyl was retired. Each Klyl would increase their ranking over time, and there was no competition because only the exact amount of Klyls needed were birthed each year. "Yes, I agree." They sat in silence for three partitions before Zork'ak asked, "what is 'yesterday?'"

Adam looked up, questioning xem, "you mean like the day or...?"

"What is the meaning of the word?"

"It's the day before today."

"What is a day?"

All the humans within in hearing distance turned to look at xem. "What do you call it?" Steve asked.

"It is when the sun has completed a rotation around the planet. You know, when it goes down and then comes back up again?" Adam supplied as an explanation for Zork'ak.

"We call that a rotation."

Adam's mouth upturned on the edges. "I guess that would make sense."

"So you have an entirely different measurement of time?" Kai asked.

"It appears so. We have partitions, the smallest units of measurement."

"We call those minutes. It's enough time for you to count to 60."

"A partition is the amount of time it takes to count to 100."

"Oh. So you have a system based off of 10."

Zork'ak thought for a partition before responding. "I believe so. What is next for you after a minute?"

"An hour. That is 60 minutes."

"We have a cycle. That is 100 partitions."

"How many cycles are in a rotation?"

"There are 10. Are there 60 hours in your day?"

"Oh, wow, no. There's 24."

Zork'ak was perplexed by this. "That is not logical."

"No, I guess it's not, but it's what we do. Then there are 7 days in a week."

"A week? Is that a complete revolution of the sun?"

"No, we call that a year. There are 52 weeks or 365 days in a year."

"Your system has such a variety of numbers."

"Yeah, but that's just how long it takes for everything to happen. What do you call a week?"

"We do not have anything after a rotation except for a revolution."

"No groupings? Not even for seasons?"

Xe turned xer head in a motion that meant 'no.' "Our climate is steady."

"Wait." Steve leaned towards Zork'ak. "How do you know people's birthdays if you don't have months?"

"The designated rotation that Klyls are born? That is the third rotation of each revolution."

"All your people are born on the same day?"

"That is the birthing rotation, yes."

"Woah. Weird. So no party?"

"What is a party?"

"What is a party?!" Steve looked like he had ingested a harmful food. "It's when people get together with music and food and booze and dance and play games."

Zork'ak stared at Steve. "I do not know most of the words you just said."

"Oh, wow. Zor, you have to let us show you how to party. When is your birthday?"

"The third, you idiot." Kai's mouth was pulled up on the edges as she answered him.

"Oh, right. Well, we are throwing you a birthday party."

Zork'ak was uncertain if this would result in something harmful, but xe answered, "I will allow it as long as it does not break any laws."

"Sweet! So, uh, what day is it today?"

"This rotation?" Steve shook his head up and down. "It is the 15th rotation of the 6008th revolution."

"Woah. Okay. Well, I hope we're still here in 88 days then. Someone write that down."

"Steve, not everyone has as shitty of a memory as you," Kai said in response. She looked to Zork'ak. "I'll remember it."