Bad Smells

After the defense class, the group went to third meal, sitting at a table with Zork'ak. Carrie lifted a spoonful of her mixed spices and grains to her face, making a face that relayed an unpleasant experience.

"Oh, that smells terrible."

Adam leaned over, breathing in deeply. "You're right." He proceeded to take a bite. "Pretty bad, too."

Several of the other humans passed the bowl around to smell and taste the food, each announcing what the others had already claimed: that it both smelled and tasted bad.

"If the food is unpleasant, we can find you something more suitable."

Carrie shook her head, reclaiming her bowl, and started to eat the substance. "It's not that bad."

"Did you not all agree that the food was not to your liking?"

Steve laughed. "We just like to also experience it."

"Why is it that you all feel the need to smell and eat the food. Do you not trust Carrie's opinion?"

"Well, she can say that it's awful, but you never know how truly awful something is until you try it yourself."

"You prefer to experience something you know you will not enjoy."

Steve and Adam looked at each. "Well, yeah," Adam said.

Carrie shrugged, putting more in her mouth. "The more you eat, the better it gets." Adam leaned over to steal another spoonful and agreed that it did taste better the second time.

"Does your food not taste similar to Carrie's?"

He shook his head. "Since they're specialized to our body types, no. Hers tastes especially awful."

"I can request that the nutritionist to make changes to the way the meals are prepared."

Carrie dropped her bowl on the table. "It was pretty good by the end."

"You guys are weird." Wren said as she sat down. "I could hear all of you across the room complaining about something smelling gross."

"Well, it did." Adam answered as he continued to eat.

"Then, don't smell it." She took a spoonful of her meal.

"Does your meal taste and smell how you would prefer?" Xe asked her.

She nodded. "I really like it."

"Good," xe said quietly, and she nodded quickly in response.

"Don't listen to them," Wren said after a partition. "Not every human wants to smell something awful."

"Most do, though," Steve yelled across the table.

Zork'ak wondered how frequently xe had marked down human behavior that was unique to this group only.