006.

006. plant girls are slightly insane, also... prophecies

SHE HAD decided getting some sleep would be the best option before she spoke to chiron. maybe then her mind would be a bit clearer and she would wake up and find out that the 'power' aphrodite gave her was just some made-up joke. she'd been tired, moody and then to add to that, she'd gotten some weird freaky new power. she wished for a nice, quiet dream, maybe the normal one's mortals get.

but really, when do demigods ever actually get that?

of course, demigod dreams are different to normal dreams. normal people probably had dreams about them in random fantasy situations and the worst thing they could get were nightmares. well, let barbie explain how fun demigod dreams. they were like both. sometimes it was a good dream, maybe your godly parent had come to say hello. maybe it was a nightmare and now you had to save the world. it was like a pick and dip for how happy and rested you'd be in the morning.

thankfully, barbie had only ever had one demigod dream before, and that was the night before they went to westover, and even then she was still shaken from that dream. so she had no idea how she would even react to another one.

she'd say she could handle nightmares pretty well, or she thought so. but the fates seemed to think 'handle nightmares pretty well' means just shove her in a dark dream about her friend being kidnapped.

this dream made her previous dream look like a little rainbow. annabeth was on a dark hillside, shrouded in fog. and barbie felt claustrophobic as she saw she couldn't see the sky above - just close heavy darkness as if her dream was set in a cave. annabeth struggled up the hill. old broken greek columns of black marble were scattered around, as though something had blasted a huge building to ruins.

"thorn!" annabeth cried, "where are you? why did you bring me here?"

she scrambled over a section of broken wall and came to the crest of the hill. she gasped. there was luke. and he was in pain. he was crumpled on the rocky ground, trying to rise. the blackness seemed to be thicker around him, fog swirling hungrily. his clothes were in tatters and his face was scratched and drenched with sweat.

"annabeth!" he called, "help me! please!"

she ran forward to him and barbie tried to scream out to her to stop. this luke didn't look like the luke she had known. he looked like something was stirring inside of him and she didn't trust it. she was screaming, trying to run forwards to annabeth, but it seemed she couldn't move or talk in her dream.

annabeth had tears in her eyes. she reached down like she wanted to touch luke's face, but at the last second she hesitated, "what happened?" she asked.

no, annabeth! barbie tried to scream, it's a trick! he isn't the luke you know-

"-they left me here," luke groaned, "please. it's killing me."

barbie tried to see what was wrong with him. he seemed to be struggling against some invisible curse, as though the fog were squeezing him to death.

"why should i trust you?" annabeth asked, her voice filled with hurt.

you shouldn't! barbie tried to shout again, snap out of it annabeth! he's trying to-

"-you shouldn't," luke said, "i've been terrible to you. but, if you don't help me, i'll die."

you deserve that fate! she wanted to scream, you lying scum!

then the darkness above luke began to crumble, like a cavern roof in an earthquake. huge chunks of black rock began falling. annabeth rushed in just as a crack appeared, and the whole ceiling dropped. she held it. she kept it from collapsing on her and luke just with her own strength. it was impossible. she shouldn't have been able to do that. luke rolled free, gasping.