010.

「010. boycott blessings from the wild, they lie」

PEOPLE ALWAYS told barbie that drinking coffee at such a 'young' age would be bad for her, because it would stunt her growth. quite frankly, she'd have to agree. because that was the whole reason she loved it so much. she was tall already (for a fourteen-year-old anyway) and she didn't need the extra height.

but on the very big plus side, coffee always kept her awake. and right about now, she was on the verge of falling asleep every second. the little sleep she had managed to get wasn't enough to power her exhaustion filled body and she was constantly bumping into people.

it was around the fifth time she'd bumped into a random pedestrian when percy had gently grabbed hold of her and said, "you're staying next to me until we find you some coffee."

"i'm 'wake," she slurred from exhaustion, blinking slightly and opening her eyes again, "see?"

"she's definitely not awake," commented thalia, "i've never seen an aphrodite child with eye bags befor-"

"-that's because i don't have them!" she snapped sleepily, "that's jus' my skin telling me i need coffee."

"so, eye bags," stated thalia.

"i think she gets offended when you say that," commented percy, "oh, look. it-"

"coffee," mumbled barbie, trying to get herself to be more awake and... alive, "coffee!"

barbie was filled with a short rush of adrenaline. she reached into her bag and scooped out her mortal money and basically made a b-line to the coffee house along with zoë and grover. she'd ordered a normal mocha because she needed something sweet and she needed coffee, so she turned to the glorious mocha.

something was wrong with grover. it had been his second cup of coffee when he froze. barbie was about to ask him what was up, and maybe joke that he didn't like his muffin until she felt a strong breeze push past. it was like a gust of springtime, even if it was the middle of winter.

zoë gasped and pointed to something, "grover, thy cup."

grover dropped his coffee cup as the birds on their peeled off of his coffee and flew away in a flock of doves. a squeak was heard and barbie looked to what percy was holding, a fake rat. but now, it was actually a live rat, and had ran off into the woods without another squeak.

"what-"

"hey!" said thalia, "what just... is grover ok?"

"i don't know," spoke percy with a panicked expression, "he just collapsed."

"uhhh...." spoke grover, groaning.

"well!" spoke thalia, panicking slightly, "get him up! we have to get out of here!"

percy heaved as he picked up grover, and barbie helped, swinging one of the collapsed satyr's arms around her shoulder whilst percy did the same with the other.

"that was either some really strong coffee," announced barbie, "or some crazy shit is happening."

when grover underwood said a gift. barbie thought he meant a manicure or a free ride. or even some cute pegasi they could use as transportation. heck, even an extra flask of nectar would have been good or just some comfy clothes.